Rockman Ace Line Opinion?

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
Fireful0

Rockman Ace Line Opinion?

Post by Fireful0 »

Hello everyone!
A few months ago I sold my Rockman Headphone Amp and Rockadaptor. I got a pretty penny for it though on Ebay.
However, now I am in the process of moving and thought to myself, "Hey! You really should have kept that!" :lol:
Oh well, lesson learned.
So, just for the sake of cheapness, I thought about the Rockman Ace line to replace it.
What do you guys think of them? Do you prefer the Metal Ace or the Guitar Ace?
Any thoughts are welcome!
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Rockman Ace Line Opinion?

Post by rbc »

I’ve never used the Metal Ace, so I can’t compare it with the Guitar Ace. I like the Ace just fine. It’s just an amplifier simulation, which I think it does pretty well. I have to admit that I almost never use Hvy Dist. It’s just too much gain for the single coil pickups in my guitar. I either use it for practice or sometimes recording. If I’m recording, I use noise reduction and add digital effects with GarageBand or AmpKit.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Good to know! Thanks rbc!
I tend to be more of a heavy metal player. Some of my influences are Dokken, Triumph, and Motley Crue. The Metal Ace may be for me!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Fireful0,

Bruce hit it on the head, as usual!

All three (or four if you are me with the one-off Guitar Ace Blaster prototype!) are decent amp simulators. Period. But that's it. They won't replace an X100 for that patented Rockman sound (no CLEAN 2 and no spacial effects).

Def Leppard used the Guitar Ace to record Hysteria and guitarist Phil Collen had SR&D custom build him an XPR with the Metal Ace distortion circuit. But both he and the dead guy supposedly recorded one string at a time so the sound is probably more attributable to Mutt Lange's mixing in the studio. Regardless, he or the not dead guy replacement no longer use them live or in the studio so...

I actually prefer the Bass Ace to the Bass Rockman for recording. It has more UMPHHH!!! I find the Bass Rockman to sound great through headphones but difficult to remix the preset EQ settings to POP in the mix when I record.

Hope that helps! And let me know if you need a nice, replacement X100... I can make that happen!

;)

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Def Leppard only recorded a small section of the song Hysteria one string at a time.... (the clean rhythm strums after the lines "I gotta know tonight..... if you're alone tonight...". The rest was recorded normally.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Sunburst wrote:I actually prefer the Bass Ace to the Bass Rockman for recording. It has more UMPHHH!!! I find the Bass Rockman to sound great through headphones but difficult to remix the preset EQ settings to POP in the mix when I record.
I forgot to mention. I've been using the Bass Ace to record too. Sometimes I use my Guitar Compressor Rockmodule, but the Bass Ace does it pretty well.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Much appreciated!
CRAP. I forgot that the Ace line did not have the clean 2 sound. DANGIT. So much for that idea.
Maybe I should just wait for an old beat-up Rockman Headphone Amp to show up on Ebay for dirt cheap. :lol:

As for that X100, Sunburst, I gotta say, it's pretty darn tempting.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I'm ready when you are!

;)
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Sunburst wrote:I'm ready when you are!

;)
I'll keep that in mind!
You are the Rockman master, so whenever I need some stuff, I will always hit ya up!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Um... how about now?

:?