Resistor tolerances?

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
X100Ver10

Resistor tolerances?

Post by X100Ver10 »

I'm trying to make up a Reverb and Primary V10 circuit board to be used for testing purposes. I've started working on the Reverb board.

A vast majority of the resistors on the SR&D V10 Reverb board have a gold band (+ or - 5% tolerance) at the end. Some, however, have a red (+ or - 2%) or silver (+ or - 10%) band at the end.

I have 2 large resistor kits. One has 5% tolerance resistors and the other has 1%. As long as I keep with the same Ohms, can I install a 5% tolerance resistor in the place of the silver (10%) and a 1% in the place of the red (2%)? Or am I going to have issues? Part of me thinks that a lower tolerance should be fine and SR&D just used what they had available. Part of me thinks SR&D had a reason to use different tolerances.

What say you, electronic gurus? :-)

Thanks.
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Resistor tolerances?

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Most likely using a resister with a lower tolerance is OK, maybe even preferred.
Most of the time, higher tolerances are used for cost constraints or non-critical areas.
X100Ver10

Re: Resistor tolerances?

Post by X100Ver10 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:05 pm Most likely using a resister with a lower tolerance is OK, maybe even preferred.
Most of the time, higher tolerances are used for cost constraints or non-critical areas.
Thanks Bob!