Various repair questions

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
GRIMland

Various repair questions

Post by GRIMland »

Hi all, I used to post on gonnahitcharide forum many years ago. Got an itch to pull my old Rockman gear out of storage again which reminded me of the issues my gear had.

I have a 200 sustainor, DG, 2 EQs, SC, SE, and midi octopus. Most work great still.

Some photos of my setup in 2004:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JSbY5pdGoBjpoK8U6
Made the cab myself obviously

The two EQ units - they work and sound great but both have non-functioning bypass push switches. The footswitch bypass work fine. I remember trying to open one of the switches years ago, didn't go well. Are replacements available? Are the existing ones serviceable and if so is there a how-to writeup/pictures?
Also, one of the drive level switches is scratchy and a little intermittent. Might just need to deoxit that one, but I'll check the solder joints too.

My Distortion Generator (large board, late 1988) has had issues not long after I bought it around 2001 or so. When I first turn in on, just guitar plugged in I get a very harsh sound, and pushing the autoclean in makes it worse and produces high pitched squealing. When I push the autoclean in and out several times and give the unit a few minutes while strumming eventually it will sound as it should, though the autoclean triggered will still sound a bit harsh. Another odd thing is the bypass and boost footswitches - they only trigger on/off with a hard strum of guitar.

I plan on sending the DG to Dwight @ B5 for repair. Curious what he's going to find. I assume a bad IC chip. I used a magnifying glass and checked all the solder joints, all looked good.

Last question, back when I gigged with my Rockman gear I never used auto-clean but realize now how handy it would have been. Is it normal for the volume to increase significantly when turning auto-clean on? It does that in both my DG and sustainor. At least a good 3db I think.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Various repair questions

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I have some of the push switches you are talking about, so they are available. Can't remember where I got them... maybe Mouser or Digikey?

As to the volume boost when engaging the auto clean... yeah, that's pretty normal.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

There are 2 part numbers that will work regarding the push switches - PBH2UEENAGX or PBH2UEESNPNAGX. The later (PBH2UEESNPNAGX) is much cheaper and the 2 middle legs are bent to hold it in better while soldering. Unfortunately, Mouser won't have any until late March. The first (PBH2UEENAGX) is available at Mouser & Digi-Key. A little cheaper at Digi-Key. All of the legs (leads) are straight. Here are the links:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E- ... e4Ew%3d%3d

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E- ... bukg%3d%3d

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/805271

As cheap as the switches are, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the old ones. More than likely the plastic nub on the back that holds it together is broken (common) and isn't allowing good contact. If it isn't broken and it doesn't break as you take it apart, be careful to not lose the small copper contact pieces inside. They slide back and forth on some copper and easily fall off. If you do attempt to take it apart, try cleaning the contacts inside to see if that gets it to work.

I got your PM. Let me see if I can find my notes for that DG.
GRIMland

Post by GRIMland »

Thanks for the switch details that's a big help. Assuming the tips can mount on the new switches, how do the blue/black switch tips come off the existing switch, just friction fit, snap on, etc?

I think I made the mistake of messing up that copper piece when I attempted to fix one many years ago. Seeing the price for new ones I agree probably not worth trying to fix existing ones.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

GRIMland wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:58 am Thanks for the switch details that's a big help. Assuming the tips can mount on the new switches, how do the blue/black switch tips come off the existing switch, just friction fit, snap on, etc?

I think I made the mistake of messing up that copper piece when I attempted to fix one many years ago. Seeing the price for new ones I agree probably not worth trying to fix existing ones.
The tips (caps) just pull off or push on and will work with the new push switch. They are on there pretty good but you can just pull and they will come off. You probably want to hold the sides of the switch tight while pulling or pushing to avoid damaging it though.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Check your PM's.