Using the Sustainor CLN2 Setting with Bass

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
rbc
Site Admin

Using the Sustainor CLN2 Setting with Bass

Post by rbc »

I'm curious if anyone has used Sustainor CLN2 with bass guitar. From reading the Rockman user manuals, it would appear that CLN2 has flat response. It made me wonder if it would work OK with bass. I have a Bass Ace and I'm on the lookout for a Bass Rockman. It might take quite a while before I find a Pro Bass Rockman.

Thanks,

--Bruce
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
darthoverdrive

Re: Using the Sustainor CLN2 Setting with Bass

Post by darthoverdrive »

I bought my Bass Rockman here along with some other modules,
http://www.boingosaurus.com/apps/webstore/

I haven't tried my bass through a Sustainor but I did through my Rockman. My bass has active pickups, which I actually don't like about it, so I still haven't found the best settings yet. I actually prefer clean sounds, no distortion, as I'm still teaching myself to play. Then I run the output through a guitar amp, again with clean settings but setting the tone for bass.

I'll have to try it through the Sustainor, but will most likely have to cut the treble and boost the low end for more oomph.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

I guess I could also try to start with a Rockman Guitar Compressor and build from there. Say, add a Stereo Chorus and EQ? I don't have a Bass yet. I'll start there ;)
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

I used a Rockman Compressor and a Sustainor for bass. It was many years ago and I don't remember the exact details, but it wasn't crap, but it wasn't so great that I still use them. ;)

I have found that recording direct, with just a compressor (to tame the peaks and bring up some lows) is all I need. EQing is done in the mix. I've used many compressors in the past, as well as Ampeg SVP and Carvin bass preamps, but now only rely on my Bass Rockman and Carvin preamps. Again, usually just for the compression.

The Rockman Pro Bass is nothing more than a Bass Rockman and an EQ, all spread out in a single space rack. I have a picture somewhere. It's one of those collectable things, but not anything new.

I don't know how Boingosaurus is away from Ebay, but has been one of the consistantly overpriced seller on Ebay for years. When I asked specifics about a unit, I was given a quick nonshalant answer.

I've seen several Bass Rockmans go buy. Like anything, you just have to be patient. ;)

I found an online picture of the Probass, thanks to Rockman Repair. Notice the circuit board.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

Looks like a Bass Rockman and an EQ placed side by side in an enclosure. Then again that's about all you need.

rbc, when I bought my bass I wish I knew then what I know now. I went to Guitar Center and tried out a few different ones and was deciding between an Epiphone Firebird and an Ibanez GR300 or something like that. I bought the Ibanez because it was really light weight but I wish I bought the Epiphone. For me as a beginner the active pickups may hinder my playing more than help. I think an experienced player may find them useful though. Also the plug on this thing is hard to get at and if you don't unplug it the battery drains. On the plus side it is more lighter and easier on the back than the Firebird.

I also use these hard rubber picks another bass player told me about. I got them off of Amazon. I haven't mastered the finger picking yet.

Just my two cents worth. :)
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

I worked at Guitar Center for years. A new $1500 bass guitar, when sold as used, will be around $750. Just FYI - there's plenty of great bargains to be had in a used instrument at around half the price.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote:I worked at Guitar Center for years. A new $1500 bass guitar, when sold as used, will be around $750. Just FYI - there's plenty of great bargains to be had in a used instrument at around half the price.
Thanks for this. A promising Rockman Guitar Compressor popped up. Looks like I'm getting that first. I'll probably go used with the Bass as well.