2 Sustainors in series.

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Honda_boy

Re: 2 Sustainors in series.

Post by Honda_boy »

By the way, I have another 200 sustainor that is making a low hum and made a hot/melted spot on the case where the transformer is, so I replaced the transformer, only to find it doing the same thing, and the transformer getter hot again. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?
Thanks,
Honda_boy
A man must love something very much to practice it, not only without hope of fame and fortune, but without hope of doing it well.
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

Dale wrote:I have never been able to get a clean chanel volume to match the edge or distortion volume level. It is always too low
Same. That's where a midi EQ comes in handy.

I'll make my own thread about how I just rewired my setup later. I spent all weekend rearranging the parts of my rig and the outcome was cool.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Honda_boy wrote:By the way, I have another 200 sustainor that is making a low hum and made a hot/melted spot on the case where the transformer is, so I replaced the transformer, only to find it doing the same thing, and the transformer getter hot again. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?
Thanks,
Honda_boy
It sounds like something shorted downstream of the transformer. That would pull more current through the power supply. Safety first, unplug the Sustainor from the power outlet. Look at both sides of the board for anything metallic, that looks like it might be shorting between foil runs, connectors or the case. Also look for discolored components. It might indicate a component failure.

As a wild guess, look at the rectifier circuit. It's "high current", relatively speaking and a better candidate for failure than other things down stream. Having a failing component in the rectifier could cause a power supply ripple and make for a nice hum.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

This is how I rewired my setup this weekend. I can get any sound imaginable now with 12 tones (from a quadmod sus and stock) and 4 MIDI EQ's

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/11o5 ... sp=sharing
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

Nice!

Have you tried 2 sustainors in parallel? Even more combinations!
Honda_boy

Post by Honda_boy »

I did find a little diode thing that looked as though it had shorted out be touching the side of the case, I can only assume that's what happened.
A man must love something very much to practice it, not only without hope of fame and fortune, but without hope of doing it well.
Honda_boy

Post by Honda_boy »

Do you use an eq before you hit the compressor, then put another in the loop? I bought 2 TC Electronic 1140 for mine, works a treat, sounds heaps better than the rockman ones, I assume they need a good refurb
Honda_boy

Post by Honda_boy »

Also, what pedals do you run before your modules?
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Tom just uses Clean 1 and Edge, and he plays the whole show that way.

Not sure why you would need more than that???
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Tom just uses Clean 1 and Edge, and he plays the whole show that way.

Not sure why you would need more than that???
Well... Tom's sustainor is special and the edge+autoclean setting probably doesn't sound like crap like mine does :P