Auto clean with a volume pedal

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Guitarvamp

Re: Auto clean with a volume pedal

Post by Guitarvamp »

rbc wrote:Hey, would anyone suggest the volume pedals that they like? I guess I could try to find one of the Rockman branded Dunlop pedals. I'd actually prefer something un-powered, but suppose that might have some disadvantages.
Ok, first, let me explain a big myth..... Volume pedals don't ADD any volume to your signal chain. They only take what you have, and decrease it with the pedal action. So, when you have the volume pedal at "full volume"... it's no different than if it were never there. Just FYI. ;)

Having worked in a huge music store and seeing hundreds of volume/wah pedals come and go, there really was very little difference for the majority of them. In wahs, the only real difference was the tone at which they "rocked". Some were a little more trebly, some were more mid-rangey... most of it was advertising hype and the name stamped on the outside (Kirk Hammet, Dimebag, Van Halen, Zakk Wylde, Dunlop, MXR, custom names, etc).

Volume pedals were less different. Some had lightup LEDs to show how much volume you had going. Other than that, just the names again.

Some were different, though, like the Ibanez Weeping Demon, or the pedals that did wah and volume. Some, like the Hendrix pedal, added fuzz, too.

All in all, I would look for something cheap to start with. You can always sell it later if you don't like it or find something that you really like. Or, take your Rockmodule in to Guitar Center and try a few out - see if you hear a difference (and of course report back to us). :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

This guy has a interesting view and modification of the Morley optical volume pedal...(warning) his language is colorful. I haven't taken my Rockman volume pedal apart to see if it's similar yet.

https://youtu.be/B_ygInLBkCQ
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

The main difference is whether it's using an analog pot vs an optical.
Optical is cleaner since there's no moving parts in the audio path.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:The main difference is whether it's using an analog pot vs an optical.
Optical is cleaner since there's no moving parts in the audio path.
Good point there. I think I'll give an optical pedal a try.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/