Rockmodules with corroded jack sockets - Bad?

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
carl170

Rockmodules with corroded jack sockets - Bad?

Post by carl170 »

I have been watching a few modules on eBay and have noticed quite a few of them have really rusty corroded jack sockets or have a really shabby appearance.

I don't know how they get in this state, but was wondering if it is possible that the electronics inside will also be in a similar state?

Are these the ones to avoid buying?

The XPR I got recently seems to be in really good condition (no signs of rust anywhere), and the previous owner actually had two others that seemed to be his pride and joy, so I am guessing he looked after them. He sold me one of his spares!

Thanks for and advice (as always!)

Carl
Guitarvamp

Re: Rockmodules with corroded jack sockets - Bad?

Post by Guitarvamp »

carl170 wrote:I have been watching a few modules on eBay and have noticed quite a few of them have really rusty corroded jack sockets or have a really shabby appearance.
Yep, these are all terrible. You'd better send them all to me. :mrgreen:

Seriously, at least 80% of all Rockmodules I have seen or owned had rust and corrosion on the jacks. Usually the insides are just fine. If you take off the nuts and use a little sandpaper and black paint, you are back in action. ...which I will never understand why people are swapping out the originals for stainless steel. A few minutes of work on the original parts... :roll: