Distortion Generator potentiometers

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
X100Ver10

Re: Distortion Generator potentiometers

Post by X100Ver10 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:
X100Ver10 wrote:
RockmanCentralBob wrote:No, they are B, Linear..... at least, that's what the schematic says.
Just want to make sure we are on the same page. The 100K Volume and Treb Boost potentiometers on the DG are taper B (linear)? I was under the impression that taper A (logarithmic) potentiometers are usually used for Volume. Thanks. Sorry to be a pest.
They are definitely B taper..... these are not for volume but for tone controls, so it makes sense that you would want an even taper. A log pot would make the change uneven at one end from the other.
Thanks again Bob.

I edited my post to reflect the correct part number. For the A taper pots, the Alpha part number is RA2043F-20-10EB1-A100K for the 2 larger slide potentiometers (A100K) on the DG.

Sorry for the confusion folks.
Last edited by X100Ver10 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Well, I hate to do it but I have to throw a monkey wrench into this thread. Just to be clear, I am talking about the 2 larger slide pots (black knob, 35mm length, 20mm travel, Treb Boost & Vol sliders at the Output section) of the DG.
I received the B100K slide pots from Mouser today. Using a multimeter, I measured the resistance at 5 stages of travel (0, 25%, 50%, 75%, & 100%) on the new B100k's, the new A100k's, & the old ones that came out of the DG. Based on the measurements, the old ones that came out of the DG are definitely A100K. Either the schematic is wrong, SR&D put in A100K's for whatever reason, or someone switched and put in A100K's sometime in the past.
Does anyone have a DG, that is super clean inside, that could take a look and see if their sliders are marked with A100K or B100K? Thanks.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Mine has "A" sliders:
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg
IMG_2440.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Thank you Bruce! I'm going with the A100K's in mine.

Thanks to all that chimed in. What have we learned kids? If you ever need to replace the pots on these modules and the markings are gone, I guess you will just have to measure the resistance at various areas of travel to determine the correct taper. :D

I'll update the thread if I ever figure out the 2 switches. It appears that CW Industries is closed for the holidays. I'll try them after the new year.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

It looks like Arrow is now out of stock of the Bourns B100K pots. Who here bought them out? David? Dwight? :D

Mouser still has a bunch.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Sorry I gave you bad info.... for some reason I was looking at the Pre- Distortion EQ controls...
DG PreEQ.png
Instead of the Output...
DGOutput.png
I don't recall if I was in a hurry, tired, or just having a reading comprehension brain fart!!
Really sorry about that!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Sorry I gave you bad info.... for some reason I was looking at the Pre- Distortion EQ controls...

DG PreEQ.png

Instead of the Output...

DGOutput.png

I don't recall if I was in a hurry, tired, or just having a reading comprehension brain fart!!
Really sorry about that!!
No worries Bob. I was bouncing around between the smaller and larger pots in this thread and I probably was getting people confused. I just hope that whoever bought out the remaining 70+ B100K's from Arrow didn't do so because of this thread. :shock:
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

X100Ver10 wrote:I may have a line on the 3 smaller potentiometers in China. I am waiting on another response to my questions regarding measurements. It is looking better though and will keep this thread updated.
I received the smaller pots (B10K & B500K) from China yesterday.
IMG_20180117_155524.jpg
If you click on the picture, it won't be upside down. :)

Except for having a black knob instead of a white knob, everything matches up and tests correctly.

Each value is sold in a lot of 20 pieces for around $19 total with free shipping on AliExpress.
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

That is almost an identical match! :o
Pretty great price, too!
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Fireful0 wrote:That is almost an identical match! :o
Pretty great price, too!
It was a pleasant surprise that I was able to actually find a Rockman obsolete part! I went ahead and ordered another 20 pieces of each value (B10K & B500K) before they are gone forever.

I'm still not having much luck on the switches though. I'm having difficulty getting someone at CW Industries to return my phone call. Maybe I should say that I'm in need of 5 million switches. :D