Module capacitor replacing

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

X100Ver10 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 am Sustainor 200 (double IC) S/N SP21021. Rev? No date, only says May ...

1x ?? 50v?? axial on smart gate board (8643) 1mf 50v

1x ?? ??v?? axial on front left of main board (8840) 10mf 35v

Stereo Chorus SC03914 Rev2 (1988)

1x 22mf?? (could be 2.2mf??) 16v?? (8512) axial 22mf 16v

I think you meant to use uF, not mF for these values. Huge difference!
X100Ver10

Re: Module capacitor replacing

Post by X100Ver10 »

Yea, I was using his lingo when I responded but I corrected it in my last post. I wound up sending him the proper caps and he said everything works great. All good. :D
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

mikegiovannucci wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 amThe one on the main board looks like C7 and runs parallel with the faceplate. Behind it is TL072. This is in the compressor circuit.
Hi Mike,
Not to hijack the thread, but do you see a way to add a toggle switch to take the compressor in and out of the circuit path?
mikegiovannucci

Post by mikegiovannucci »

Chuck Nuggets wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm
mikegiovannucci wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 amThe one on the main board looks like C7 and runs parallel with the faceplate. Behind it is TL072. This is in the compressor circuit.
Hi Mike,
Not to hijack the thread, but do you see a way to add a toggle switch to take the compressor in and out of the circuit path?

Hmmm, I like your thinking. I'm pretty sure that is possable. Let me look at the schematic tonight and see. What are you looking to do with it? Is the plan to be able to use from the Smart Gate and beyond?

Mike
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Be advised that the compressor also affects the tone.
My understanding is that as more compression is applied, the characteristic "honk" of the Sustainor gets more pronounced.
It probably shaves out some of the low end as well.
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

mikegiovannucci wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:37 pm
Chuck Nuggets wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm
Hi Mike,

Hmmm, I like your thinking. I'm pretty sure that is possable. Let me look at the schematic tonight and see. What are you looking to do with it? Is the plan to be able to use from the Smart Gate and beyond?

Mike
I'd like to keep the Smart Gate in the circuit, if possible. I would like the Sustainor to be capable of a more traditional attack and response...like a standard amp. Lifting the midrange bump [via toggle switch] would be nice also. Something closer to a flat response. Apparently, this idea was brought up during the design phase, but was shot-down by Tom Scholz. I've always felt that, had the Sustainor been equipped with traditional tone select options, it would have been the ultimate portable device. It already is, but it would have appealed to more people.
1. Compressor bypass switch.
2. Midrange hump bypass switch.
Last edited by Chuck Nuggets on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikegiovannucci

RockmanCentralBob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:07 pm Be advised that the compressor also affects the tone.
My understanding is that as more compression is applied, the characteristic "honk" of the Sustainor gets more pronounced.
It probably shaves out some of the low end as well.
Absolutely! Not sure what his goal is Bob. What I was going to do to mine at some point is to, add a jack on the back and have it disconnect the compressor stage. Have that jack be a direct feed into the Smart Gate. This way I can use the Smart Gate with the effect out on the effect loop on my XPR. What do you think?

Mike
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Chuck Nuggets wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pmHi Mike,
With the Sustainor there is another way to bypass the compressor (and gate). Bump your guitar signal up some, then go directly into one of the effects loop returns. That way you can substitute your own compressor (a Rockman Guitar Compressor?), gate and any other effects you want before the distortion circuit. You'd have to give some thought to if you wanted to use the DIST/EDGE return in conjunction with the All Return.

That's what David Ferringer did when he recorded Rockin' Soxx. He has the YouTube video on his Demos page:

http://www.rockman-repair.com/DEMOS.html

You'll find his notes on the lineup if you page down past the video.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
mikegiovannucci

Here is what I was thinking to do for mine. As Bruce mentioned, you my have to bump your input a bit. This setup will let you come in before the Smart Gate. This will also keep the 2meg ohm impedance input in place.

Mike
Last edited by mikegiovannucci on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

mikegiovannucci wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm Absolutely! Not sure what his goal is Bob. What I was going to do to mine at some point is to, add a jack on the back and have it disconnect the compressor stage. Have that jack be a direct feed into the Smart Gate. This way I can use the Smart Gate with the effect out on the effect loop on my XPR. What do you think?
The gate in the Sustainor is pretty weak and is only for the hiss band, so not very effective overall.
I think you'd be far better off just getting an MXR Smart Gate Pedal, or better yet an ISP Decimator II G-String, and using that rather than hacking into a Sustainor.

https://www.amazon.com/ISP-Technologies ... AEA9LRVLVE