Odd compression effect when driving clean channel on Sustainor

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Mr.Buu

Odd compression effect when driving clean channel on Sustainor

Post by Mr.Buu »

Ive got a 200A sustainor. Im trying to boost CLN 1 into overdrive since Im not a fan of edge mode. Im getting what I want gain wise, the preamp gain is on max, the compressor is set to 0. The LED'S on the compressor are going full red, which is expected since im boosting it with an overdrive with a pedal, but I get this very powerful, very bass heavy popping/booming sound when plucking each string.

Only way to stop it is back off the boost, but then i lose the gain i wanted. Is the sustainor not designed to cope with this amount of external boosting on CLN 1, so its overloading the compression circuit? Ive got an EQ boosting +12db, flat response, and a Tubescreamer max volume, with gain around halfway before i hit the sustainor.

thanks
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Odd compression effect when driving clean channel on Sustainor

Post by rbc »

You could always try using a different pre-amp or "amp in a box" instead of the Rockman front end. Just run the output of the external pre-amp into the all-return on the Rockman. That might be a way to get the effect that you are trying to get, without dealing with the Rockman pre-amp or compressor.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Mr.Buu

Re: Odd compression effect when driving clean channel on Sustainor

Post by Mr.Buu »

rbc wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:21 am You could always try using a different pre-amp or "amp in a box" instead of the Rockman front end. Just run the output of the external pre-amp into the all-return on the Rockman. That might be a way to get the effect that you are trying to get, without dealing with the Rockman pre-amp or compressor.
I was just thinking of doing that too! Hopefully it works. Thanks for your response.