Rockman items FOR SALE!!!

Intended for SR&D gear, derivatives and services.
Forum rules
This forum is only intended for announcements. Trades should be private.
Sunburst

Rockman items FOR SALE!!!

Post by Sunburst »

Men,

I have a number of nice Rockman items available:

- Sustainor 200 MIB (SP19,xxx) SOLD!!!
- Sustainor 200 (SP17,xxx) SOLD!!!
- Sustainor 200 (SP17,xxx)
- Stereo Chorus/Delay (CD8,xxx; broken delay time slider) SOLD!!!
- Stereo Echo (SE3,xxx)
- Stereo Echo (SE1,xxx) SOLD!!!
- Stereo Echo (ultra rare PRE-PRODUCTION PROTOTYPE)
- Remote Loop (5) 3 SOLD (ONLY 2 LEFT)!!!
- Triple Foot Switch MIB SOLD!!!
- Rack trays (2) SOLD!!!

Just added:

- Stereo Chorus/Delay (CD4,xxx; PSRR refurb) SOLD!!!
- Sustainor 200 (17,xxx)
- Sustainor 100 (5,xxx) SOLD!!
- Distortion Generator (DG12,xxx)
- Distortion Generator (DG12,xxx)
IMG_2880.JPG
And I have plenty more coming and going weekly! Contact me for details. And if you see something in my collection that you just have to have (Stage Head? PA 500?), make an offer! Thanks!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sunburst on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rsalerno3

Re: Rockman items FOR SALE!!!

Post by Rsalerno3 »

Hi, I am looking to buy my first sustainor, are the ones your selling appropriate for me and how much are they,

Thank
R
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

R,

Hi! In answer to your question, yes, I have several different models of Sustainors available (my inventory changes weekly). I can sell you a nice 100 for $150 or a nice 200 for $250 plus $15 shipping CONUS. Preferred method is PayPal "cash to family and friends" to avoid fees. At these prices, you will have to pay any fees if using another form of payment.

If you want a PSRR Mighty Mouse (a 200 refurbed, Double IC modded [speeds up the recovery time of the compressor for fast playing], and Quad-Modded [allows you to access all four channels via MIDI as opposed to two on a stock Sustainor) housed in a metal Rock N Closure, I have one available for $800 shipped. Dave at PSRR retired last year so these are no longer being made.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. Welcome to the world of Rockman!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
Rsalerno3

Post by Rsalerno3 »

Thanks.

Plesse forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the 100 and the 200?
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

R,

I sold the 100 last night but I can get more. Still have two nice 200s and one Mighty Mouse available!

SR&D made just over 21,000 Sustainors. They were constantly redesigning all of the modules during production so there are many revisions. In general, later models are better due to these modifications. The Sustainor has four basic variations: 100, 100A, 200, and 200 Double IC (and there are a handful of modified Double ICs - the REV 20s - that were made specifically for Boston!).

The 100 (blue face ROCKMAN SUSTAINOR graphics) was first. It has all four of the channels from the original Rockman headphone amp: DIST, EDGE, CLEAN 1, and CLEAN 2. The 100A (also blue face ROCKMAN SUSTAINOR graphics) was a minor revision of the 100. The 100A is arguably quieter but not much different.

The 200 (white face ROCKMAN SUSTAINOR graphics) was a complete redesign. These modules are generally quieter. There is no difference in the CLEAN 1 and CLEAN 2 channels. Some collectors believe that the DIST on the 200s is more of an overdrive than a distortion. And the AUTO CLEAN works as it should. The last 1,500 or so 200s (19,500 and higher with a few exceptions) have the Double IC mod which speeds up the recovery time of the compressor for fast playing.

I have on many occasions "taste tested" 100s, 100As, 200s, and 200 Double ICs side by side. As long as the unit is fully operational, it is really hard to tell the difference. Most players can't even tell the difference between a Double IC and a non-Double IC.

Keep in mind that the Sustainor is only one part of the Rockman setup. A full setup requires two or three EQs (pre and post), a Smart Gate (if you want to use the gate only for distortion since the Smart Gate section on the Sustainor is not foot switchable), a Stereo Chorus, Stereo Echo, and one or two Midi Octopi. If you want to use non-Rockman effects like stomp boxes, they can be incorporated with Remote Loops. And you can use two Sustainors in the same setup, usually one for cleans and one for distortion.

So it really comes down to what you're trying to do. If you simply want to experiment to see if you like the Rockman sound, a 100 is the least expensive way to do it. If you intend to become a collector, then go for the 200. There is a decent Rockman market alive and well so you can always buy, sell, and trade your items.

Hope that helps!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I would agree with most of what Sunburst stated here.

I would add that if you get the 4 channel mod done on a Sustainor, you don't need to have 2 Sustainors.
I would also add that the Rev 20 IS quite different, though VERY expensive.
That's pretty much what you've been hearing since probably the Walk On album.
So if you happen to be a doctor, lawyer, a ridiculously wealthy individual or just want the best, GO FOR THE REV 20!!! ;-)
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Bob brings up a good point about the 4 channel mod. The Sustainors in my main and backup setups are all factory Sustainor 200 Double ICs that have the 4 channel mod. Mine were all refurbed and modded by Dave Accomando at Perfect Sound Rock Refurbs (PSRR). Unfortunately, Dave retired last year so he is no longer doing refurbs and mods. But I hear Bob recently plugged in his soldering iron!!!

I have no intimate knowledge of Bob's REV 20 mods but based on his impeccable reputation, if you have the money, go for it!!!

If you can't get your hands on a Sustainor with the four channel mod, you will need two Sustainors to access all four channels. There is really no difference between the 100 and 200 for CLEAN 1 and CLEAN 2. There is a arguably a difference for DIST and EDGE and a 200 is generally accepted to be quieter. Therefore, a good course of action is to use a 100 for cleans and a 200 for distortion.

Of course, I would test out a Sustainor first to make sure you like it and determine whether you need access to all four channels. I personally prefer to use CLEAN 2 and DIST almost exclusively with my electric guitars. But I believe Tom Scholz prefers to use CLEAN 1 and EDGE almost exclusively with his electric guitars (and I assume CLEAN 2 with his acoustics). If you are handy with the volume knob on your guitar, you could theoretically do everything live with only one channel: EDGE with AUTO CLEAN engaged! So depending on your tastes, you may only need one stock Sustainor... or two... or one with the 4 channel mod!!!
RockmanCentralBob

BTW, I recently picked up a Kemper Profiler rack model and have been profiling my Rev 20 and modded XPRa with the Ultimatum Growl circuit.
The sound is pretty much exactly the same as the real units, just without any noise at all.

In the Rev 20 clip, I start out on a Distortion profile, but with the gain on the Kemper down.
I then dial it up and you get the roar..... ala using the auto clean.
Kemper Rev 20.mp3
The XPRa clip is on the Heavy-Growl (Ultimatum) setting with the compressor bypassed.
The growl distortion is like a fuzz pedal in a way, so it's quite a bit brighter with a lot of bite, so your ears need to adjust to it after listening to the Rev 20 clip.
Kemper XPRa.mp3
BTW, my soundcard kept glitching on me, so that's what the little jumps are.
Sorry about that!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Bob,

So how long have you been keeping Barry Goudreau in your basement?

:lol:

The profiles sound great but I'm not ditching my Rockman gear!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
RockmanCentralBob

Lol!! Yeah, too much reverb! I'm still learning.

I'm definitely not ditching my Rockman gear either, but the Kemper profiled them perfectly so I'll be using the Kemper to play my Rockmans while I keep the real ones as backups. Since I was able to profile them with all their EQ settings, that simplifies things even more.

Btw, with over 8,000 rigs profiled and available for free on the rig exchange, there are a LOT of amps to choose from.