Non-Rockman Distortions

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
Guitarvamp

Non-Rockman Distortions

Post by Guitarvamp »

Talking about distortions in the other thread made me wonder: besides Rockman gear, what other distortions do you use/have/like/suggest to others?

At the music store, we all said guitar players needed at least a dozen different distortions. They're almost as addictive as guitars, and at least in our minds, as much a part of "our sound" and tone.

My old trusty standby is my first distortion pedal - a 1970s Ross overdrive. Probably in a tie for second would be my Boss MT2 (I know, I know, but it does all the 'extreme metal' I could ask for) and whatever Crate XL-series of amp/preamp (that's 80s sound from the 80s). Two others I won't get rid of are my early 80s Rat pedal, and my Boss overdrive/distortion. The Rat has a different flavor than most and really gets that "fuzzy" sound, and the Boss can get a decent bland overdrive and distortion without having too much of an identity (always good when playing through a JCM800 or a Super Lead).

Of other particular interest to me are the Tech 21 units, and the pedals from AMT Electronics. They both seem to capture the 'distortion pedal' and 'direct recording' mentality that I like.
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Non-Rockman Distortions

Post by rbc »

I don't think I've ever owned a distortion pedal. I've just used amp distortion. The amps are a Marshall Lead 12 (1986), a Peavey Backstage II and a Peavey Delta Blues 115.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
darthoverdrive

Re: Non-Rockman Distortions

Post by darthoverdrive »

For Motley Crue tones I use the DOD Grunge. The distortion is a bit much so I have one that I modified to give less distortion. For overdrive and distortion I have a home built MXR Distortion +.