Quick Question About Caps.

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
iZheil9152

Quick Question About Caps.

Post by iZheil9152 »

I have never really been impressed with the way my modules sound. After reading what I have on various rockman forums, and with the knowledge of electrolytic's life span; I need my caps replaced. I have pretty good knowledge of how electronics works, but I have a question for you audio geniuses out there:

Let's say I have a 10uf-35v cap and the best I can find is a 10uf-50v, is there a difference in the audio when using different voltage ratings? I know I can use this cap in other situations because you can use any voltage rating above your voltage limit. I just wanted to know if there was an audible difference before I fire up the iron.
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Quick Question About Caps.

Post by rbc »

I don't think the sound will be noticibly different. The physical size is more likely to be the challenge, though it might not make a difference when going from 35 to 50 volts.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

Eh I did it anyway. Replacing a few of the 10uf caps GREATLY improved my autoclean. (Sustainor 100)
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

iZheil9152 wrote: I just wanted to know if there was an audible difference before I fire up the iron.
Kinda glad you tried it. I'd be curious what the two values sounded like side by side.

I, too, would guess that they should be fine, but then again Tom picked some weird parts based on audio values. So who knows. :)
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

Higher voltage caps typically have thicker dielectrics, hence the larger size. In principle that should affect THD, although I doubt you could hear the difference in practice.
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

OK, I replaced all but the 10uf axial caps in my Sustainor, C/D, and echo. I can't explain how much 'better' it sounds (other than my autoCLN actually functioning) and I didn't have the patience to replug in all the gear and make a sample before-wards. I'll be getting these soon to finish the job. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pk-10uf-35V-Ax ... d#shpCntId
Last edited by iZheil9152 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

Umm - putting NOS electrolytic caps back into your system will effectively nullify your work. Electrolytic caps degrade over time, whether in or out of circuit. You should use brand-new caps as replacements. These are different from the "old" caps folks use in their guitars.
iZheil9152

Post by iZheil9152 »

I linked the wrong tab I was looking at