Anyone recording with XPR?

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
carl170

Re: Anyone recording with XPR?

Post by carl170 »

OK, so I finally managed to test a few settings.

With the headphones plugged in there is no hum, but it is still noisy - think distorted marshall when you have the guitar volume up an stop playing - that sort of noise that you get when you put your ear to a sea shell (hope you know what I mean!).

When the XPR is plugged directly into a firewire interface and Mac, you can get pretty hot levels, but it is really noisy when you stop playing. A noise gate seem to be the answer, but I only seem to have a simple one in logic, so maybe a smart gate or something might be the answer?

Does anyone use a noise gate with your rockmodules/xpr?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Carl
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

You might want to take a look at the MXR M-235 Smart Gate. The documentation is terrible, but it's basically a stereo version of the Rockman Smart Gate. The MXR M-135 Smart Gate stomp box is also derived from the Rockman Smart gate.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

rbc wrote:You might want to take a look at the MXR M-235 Smart Gate. The documentation is terrible, but it's basically a stereo version of the Rockman Smart Gate. The MXR M-135 Smart Gate stomp box is also derived from the Rockman Smart gate.
Agreed. The MXR Smart Gates are the same as the Rockmans (except not in half rack format), will be much easier to find than the Rockmans, and will most assuradly be cheaper than the Rockmans.
carl170

Post by carl170 »

rbc wrote:You might want to take a look at the MXR M-235 Smart Gate. The documentation is terrible, but it's basically a stereo version of the Rockman Smart Gate. The MXR M-135 Smart Gate stomp box is also derived from the Rockman Smart gate.
Had a look at these and can't believe how much they cost (In the UK).

Guess I will llook at using a mono mxr smart gate or maybe a software plugI in.

Regards

Carl
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

carl170 wrote:Guess I will llook at using a mono mxr smart gate or maybe a software plugI in.
I love the analog stuff but also use digital to do post processing. My main bias with digital is to keep the round trips between analog and digital to a minimum.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
carl170

Post by carl170 »

Hi all.

I have tried a noise gate and this does help. I will purchase something good a bit later on.

Inicenetally, I have found some killer tones with my strat (which I haven't really used since getting the XPR due to noise).

If I use the distortion on the 5th level, then roll the volume on the strat back to 6-7 and take the sizzle off with the tone control, it sounds great. REALLY great on the neck pickup!

Don't know how many of you have tried this?

Regards

Carl
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

I don't have a Fender Stratocaster, instead a Peavey Raptor EXP. It's a Fat-Strat style. I do like the mid-range sound of the neck pickup when playing melodies up the neck with my Sustainor. Unfortunately I have too many noise sources around and the single coils buzz big-time. A lucky thing for me is switch position 4 puts the neck and middle pickup into a humbucker configuration. It's a compromise but it effectively kills the buzz for me.