Another scam...

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
Sunburst

Another scam...

Post by Sunburst »

All,

I had someone contact me on eBay and make an offer to end a Rockman auction early. It seemed suspicious but they were willing to pay my asking price with no fees so I figured what the heck? They provided their cell phone number and requested I text them. When I texted them, they sent a new number to text them at because they were supposedly in the process of moving. When I texted that number they told me they would send a bank check and make arrangements to pick up the item once I cashed the check. I told them that I would cover shipping but they insisted that it be picked up so I knew it was 99% likely a scam. The bank check arrived via USPS Priority Mail and was for over double amount we agreed upon. I immediately contacted the bank - AMOCO Federal Credit Union of Texas - and they told me the check was a fake. I then went to the local police and they told me there was nothing they could do because the buyer was next going to request I wire the excess money to whoever was supposed to pick up the item and once the money was in their hands no one would ever come to pick it up. And I would eventually get hit with the penalties for the bad check. They were right. When I contacted the buyer that's exactly what he tried to do. But I played dumb for several days just to screw with him. I actually had a great time making him think I was actually going to send the money and then coming up with excuse after excuse. Anyway, seller beware!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
Last edited by Sunburst on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireful0

Re: Another scam...

Post by Fireful0 »

Sorry to hear that!
I am getting tired of these Ebay scammers.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

No worries. I didn't lose anything other than a little time. The scammers spent over $5 on the USPS Priority Mail envelope so I win! WINNING!!!

My guess is it was part of the Chinese eBay scam syndicate. Zero feedback Arizona eBay account, Minnesota area codes, check shipped from New Jersey, and the buyer supposedly just moved to California. Plus he had some odd syntax. Said his name was Mike but I was calling him Ming and ordering Chinese food the last couple of days of texting! He didn't like that!

:D
Last edited by Sunburst on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

This is an old one - standard "send excess money, ask for difference" scam!

Too bad these scammers use burner phones or you could hunt them down....

I'm glad you followed your instincts, Sunburst!