What EQ do you use?

Request or share system lineups and settings.
RockmanCentralBob

Re: What EQ do you use?

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

mikegiovannucci wrote: ↑Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:18 am MEQ 14 dual.

Now I just need to find the info on how to modify it to mimic a PGE2. πŸ˜‰
If you need it modded, I may be able to help you with that.... I'd have to order the parts though since I don't think I have them handy.
rock0ut

Post by rock0ut »

What does the mod entail?
mikegiovannucci

Post by mikegiovannucci »

RockmanCentralBob wrote: ↑Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

If you need it modded, I may be able to help you with that.... I'd have to order the parts though since I don't think I have them handy.
Sounds like a plan.

Not sure where you get your parts from Bob. You may want to check out arrow.com. I have no clue how they do it. You can buy 1 resistor for 5 cents and they will ship it overnight to ya. :o

When you do the mod on each band, do you replace both resistors and caps?

Mike
RockmanCentralBob

mikegiovannucci wrote: ↑Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:49 am
RockmanCentralBob wrote: ↑Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Not sure where you get your parts from Bob. You may want to check out arrow.com. I have no clue how they do it. You can buy 1 resistor for 5 cents and they will ship it overnight to ya. :o

When you do the mod on each band, do you replace both resistors and caps?

Mike
Yeah, there's 2 capacitors and 2 resistors that have to be changed for each band, for each channel. There are a few that don't have to change because they are already correct, and there are some that are correct, but end up having to be moved to a different band due to the frequency resolution shifts going on. So it's a LOT of parts to change.

BTW, in reality, I don't think it's as critical for the pre-distortion to have the resolution of the PGE2, but it definitely helps for post-distortion.
In light of that, I do have a couple of Digitech Mono28 EQ's available if you'd rather go that route... (you would only need one).
It's even finer resolution than the PGE2 (28 bands vs 14), so that could be a better (and cheaper) solution for you to consider.
mikegiovannucci

Thanks for the offer Bob. Well that would entail getting another stage head. lol

For now I am going to stick with what I have to work with.

When you made your frequency change, did you also change the bandwidth of the filter or did you just leave it at 2/3 octave? I am trying to the math so it follows the same bandwidth as the PGE2. But something in the PGE2 manual has me confused that you may be able to shed some light on for me. It states the following.

"The eight mid-range bands are 1/2 octave apart for more control where it's needed. The three bass and two treble bands are one octave apart"

8+3+2=13. Ummmmm where is the 14th and what octave is it set at?

Mike G
RockmanCentralBob

That's weird..... maybe a misprint?
mikegiovannucci

RockmanCentralBob wrote: ↑Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:16 pm That's weird..... maybe a misprint?
I guess it's a standard SR&D mystery. :roll:
PAFhumbucker

Post by PAFhumbucker »

I picked up a Digitech MEQ Dual 14 a few weeks ago and I've been experimenting with it in my rockman setup I'm putting back together.

Now this pedal here is very interesting. 10 bands, programmable, stereo, and midi controlled. Apparently Gilmour is using this now instead of Boss pedals.

Apparently you can adjust any of the 10 bands to any frequency between 20 - 20000hz.

https://www.sourceaudio.net/eq2_program ... lizer.html
pmev938

Post by pmev938 »

PAFhumbucker wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:27 pm Now this pedal here is very interesting. 10 bands, programmable, stereo, and midi controlled. Apparently Gilmour is using this now instead of Boss pedals.

Apparently you can adjust any of the 10 bands to any frequency between 20 - 20000hz.

https://www.sourceaudio.net/eq2_program ... lizer.html
Has anyone incorporated one of these into a Rockman rig? With two separate channels, it seems like it would fit perfectly, although it only has 10 bands. It also seems like an optimal tool for anyone wanting to apply post-EQ to a Rockman headphone amp while preserving the stereo output signal.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

I have not. It would fit in well with a MIDI controlled rig though.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/