Me and my Dad found another Rockman EQ in our basement

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Ash517

Me and my Dad found another Rockman EQ in our basement

Post by Ash517 »

Found it in our basement near my Dad's workbench. It has some cosmetic damage, and unfortunately seems internally damaged as well. Putting it in the Sustainor's FX loop and turning it on results in an extremely quiet, fizzy signal, (I'd guess the fizz is in the 8k-16k region) and every pick attack comes through with a very loud bassy thump (64hz?) before the signal degrades back to fizz again. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GEAR:
Rockman Guitar Ace (Dunlop)
Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Alpine White)
Boss Katana 100
Line 6 POD Go
Fdesalvo

Re: Me and my Dad found another Rockman EQ in our basement

Post by Fdesalvo »

Dude - spend 5 minutes replacing the 2 filter capacitors. They are 1000uf @ 25V. I have some extras if you want a pair. This should fix your woes provided your sliders aren't the issue. Good find and in my opinion, the EQ has more impact on the tone when placed after the Sustainor - in fact, try it after to rule out the possibility of your Sustainor's FX loop being the culprit. Either way, those two filter caps have to go. The sounds you are describing are classic symptoms of bad filter caps.

Have fun and let us play in the basement!

Frank
therockmanrocker

Post by therockmanrocker »

hey all, I took my eq apart and noticed a smaller cap besides the two you mentioned ,does that one have to be replaced?
Fdesalvo

Post by Fdesalvo »

I don’t have a pic of the board on my phone. If it’s an electrolytic, yes.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

therockmanrocker wrote:hey all, I took my eq apart and noticed a smaller cap besides the two you mentioned ,does that one have to be replaced?
My notes for an Equalizer show a 3.3uf 50v electrolytic capacitor at location C503. Yes, I would recommend replacing it if you are already replacing the other 2. More than likely the old one is an axial (one lead on each end, lays lengthwise on the board) capacitor. Might be difficult to find though. I use these radial (both leads are at the bottom, stands upright on the board) capacitors:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKW1H3R3MDD

Just bend the leads to fit and solder in place.
Fdesalvo

Post by Fdesalvo »

I use radials in these situations, as well. You’re a man of exquisite taste in capacitor lead arrangements.