new album?

The equipment produced by SR&D has a very close relationship with the band Boston and its music. This is the place for discussing Boston.
Guitarvamp

new album?

Post by Guitarvamp »

Any word on a new Boston album?
RockmanCentralBob

Re: new album?

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I haven't heard anything and honestly, I'm not expecting another new album from Boston.

Since they took the year off from touring, the best we could hope for is maybe a live album or DVD.
If we're lucky, that could have maybe one or 2 new tracks on it.

This is just answering your question based on a complete and total guess given that they took the year off.
I have no knowledge to base it on and haven't heard anything from anyone.

For all I know, Tom has been busy ice skating or just chillin' out doing nothing with his wonderful wife, Kim.
And I wouldn't begrudge him a bit if that's all he's been up to.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

I totally agree with you. I was sheerly curious.

A DVD would be awesome. Do you think Tom would be OK with doing a live album? I understood him to be a bit of a control freak, and thusly didn't like live tracks because not everything was perfect (tone, balance, musical mistakes, audience noise, mic bleed, etc).

I'd just love to hear new songs, and mull over the new Boston tones. :)
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I always felt that the harmony vocals in particular were lacking for previous incarnations of the lineup. It wasn't bad, but wasn't nearly as refined as the current lineup, which sounds amazing.

I had the opportunity to catch a soundcheck on one of the more recent tours and was very impressed to watch them practice their harmonies. They were working on "Something About You", and they repeated the chorus over and over. Each time a different member would sing their line by themselves. First Tom, then Gary, Tracy, Beth and finally Curly with the high harmony. The next time around they sang it all together in unison, and let me tell you, it sounded beautiful!

I would also say that after comparing soundboard recordings from over the years, the overall sound quality is so much better now. The live show from Nagoya, probably taken from Tommy's in ear monitor, is incredible. Tom posted a sample of what he hears in his in ear monitors while performing and it too sounds great.

So I definitely would not rule out a live DVD. If you notice, he and the band have a limited wardrobe they've been wearing on the last couple of tours. My guess that is for continuity so they can comp different performances together.

Keep the faith... it'll happen... someday.