Sustainor and Distortion Generator together?

New to Rockman gear? Here's some help. Questions are welcome.
Sunburst

Re: Sustainor and Distortion Generator together?

Post by Sunburst »

Ergh... Bob and his math... and science! Again!

:x
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

LOL!!

Just a little info from my own trials.
Your mileage may vary...
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

I second Bob's recommendation. I do not recommend running the DG after a Sustainor - it will sound terrible!

In a previous incarnation of my Rockman rig I had three distinct "channels", two with Sustainors and one with Compressor + DG, all in parallel. I could switch between individual channels or group them together. That gives you a much fuller sound. There is no "meltdown" sound with Rockmodules, however.

Having said that, the guitar output levels are key as well; you may want to try a booster in front of the Sustainor and see what happens.
Tommy Von Voigt

Re:

Post by Tommy Von Voigt »

GuitarBuilder wrote:I second Bob's recommendation. I do not recommend running the DG after a Sustainor - it will sound terrible!

In a previous incarnation of my Rockman rig I had three distinct "channels", two with Sustainors and one with Compressor + DG, all in parallel. I could switch between individual channels or group them together. That gives you a much fuller sound. There is no "meltdown" sound with Rockmodules, however.

Having said that, the guitar output levels are key as well; you may want to try a booster in front of the Sustainor and see what happens.
Any booster would do? Like a Koko Boost, or something like that?
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

An MXR 10 band EQ would work well. It has gain, and all the frequencies will give you lots of tonal options.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Guitarvamp wrote:An MXR 10 band EQ would work well. It has gain, and all the frequencies will give you lots of tonal options.
Bingo! That's what Tom uses in the studio (as do I). I just picked up the new MXR M108S to replace the previous model (the black one), which had replaced an original blue one with the power chord.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

I love my MXR 10 band! It has everything an EQ should have. Glad I'm in good company. :D
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I have three of them... just saying!!!

;)