Kickstarter for "new Rockman distortion pedal"

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
X100Ver10

Re: Kickstarter for "new Rockman distortion pedal"

Post by X100Ver10 »

rbc wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm
X100Ver10 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:02 pmYou are going to have to clarify that for me. :-)

I'm willing to send it to you to check out, if you want. Maybe afterwards, you can send it to Taylor for another one of his YouTube reviews.

I just bought it out of curiosity. To be honest, I can't get motivated to get better with the guitar so I probably won't use it for some time. I'm willing to let other members of the forum check it out to see if it would be worth their while to purchase.
Oh, I think it will be pretty obvious. If it's way too loud for your guitar amp input, it's probably a line out level. Just turn the output on the effect all the way down, then turn it up carefully.

So you should probably just send it to Taylor. Less chance of breakage. I can wait to try one later on.
When I tested it, I hooked it up to my guitar and a Marshall VS15R amp. All of the knobs on the Marshall amp are set at the halfway point. Same with the Goat DG pedal. Nothing seemed way too loud though. Instrument output then?
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

X100Ver10 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:09 amWhen I tested it, I hooked it up to my guitar and a Marshall VS15R amp. All of the knobs on the Marshall amp are set at the halfway point. Same with the Goat DG pedal. Nothing seemed way too loud though. Instrument output then?
That sounds like an instrument level output.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I wouldn't mind profiling it with my Kemper!
eicca

Post by eicca »

I’d love to give it a whirl, after I get moved into my new place and set up my gear! Bob can definitely have first dibs.
#RockmanAddict
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:57 pm I wouldn't mind profiling it with my Kemper!
Send me a PM with your shipping info and I'll send it off tomorrow. The only thing I ask is you give up some of your Rockman headphone amp original battery door contacts. I know you have some. :-) Just kidding.

Before you send it back to me, let me know first. If Taylor is ready, I'll just have you ship it to him.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

eicca wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm I’d love to give it a whirl, after I get moved into my new place and set up my gear! Bob can definitely have first dibs.
Let me know when you are ready and we'll see where it is at. :-)
RockmanCentralBob

Hi fellas...

Well, I've been playing through this thing for the past few hours, so here's the scoop.

The bad:
Well, there is a "Clean" switch which I think is probably supposed to be for "Auto Clean". I noticed a boost in volume, just like it does on the original unit, but I can't say that it cleans up very well. At least, not with my DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. Even on the lowest "Sustain" setting, I really couldn't get it clean. So it's a Distortion Generator, and the only way to get it clean is to bypass it, which is the biggest negative.

The other thing was the Lead boost. To me, it boosted the volume just a tad too much. So the balance between rhythm playing and then kicking in the Lead boost was a bit hard to manage... either the rhythm was too soft or the Lead was too loud. I think this could be solved by using a MIDI EQ such as a PGE2 (or MEQ Dual 14 modded to PGE2 specs) to handle Lead boosting.

Noise. Well, there is a little, but it's not bad at all. Even without a Smart Gate, when playing with backing tracks, you couldn't hear any noise at all. With a Smart Gate, the noise would have be zero.

So with that out of the way, I would say..... WHO CARES?

It sounds pretty sweet! I couldn't stop playing!!! I ran it direct to my board, used a little EQ on the board and then added in some Stereo Chorus and Stereo Echo via some sends I have set up. I would just switch between a plate reverb type of delay on the Stereo Echo (around 1/4 on the Delay Time slider) and the full long delay, set pretty wet. They most definitely nailed the tone and it has plenty of sustain. I might try to do a little recording so you can hear it.

I'm very tempted to order one of these for myself, though I'll decide after I profile it with my Kemper. I really hope they continue with their plans to release the Stereo Chorus and Stereo Echo modules in foot pedal form. And I REALLY wish they would go ahead and do the Sustainor or even the main stage of the XPR.
RockmanCentralBob

Here's Feelin' Satisfied using a plate reverb sound...
Sounds a little brighter than it did when I was playing, but that could be how Sonar mixed it down.
FS_GDG.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockmanCentralBob

And here's Can'tcha Say with a long echo, pretty wet....
CS_GDG.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Thanks for putting through its paces. It sounds like they got it about right. I was thinking about your remarks about the auto-clean. It took SR&D a while to get that right. My Distortion Generator auto-clean is much less noisy than the auto-clean on my blue face Sustainor. Maybe the GOAT auto-clean will evolve as time goes on.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/