Favorite Category of Rockmodule

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.

What is your favorite category of Rockmodule?

Amplifier simulators - Distortion Generator and Sustainor
39%
Sound processors - Chorus, Chorus/Delay, Compressor, Echo, EQ and Smart Gate
56%
Control Devices - Dual Remote Loop and Midi Octopus
6%

Total votes: 18

rbc
Site Admin

Favorite Category of Rockmodule

Post by rbc »

This is a slightly recooked poll on the Rockmodules. Rather than picking specific Rockmodules, this is a poll on the type of Rockmodule. You can pick all three if you like.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
GuitarBuilder

Re: Favorite Category of Rockmodule

Post by GuitarBuilder »

The Chorus and Echo modules are truly fantastic!
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

Had to vote for everything except the controllers/switchers. Rockman has always been ahead of the game on all fronts, and remains so.
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

The Sustainor and DG are among the worst sounding preamps I've ever heard. Nothing like 1st/2nd album Boston sound. A feeble approximation at best.

Aside from the original Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Chorus, the Rockman Stereo Chorus module is the best sounding analog chorus ever. I actaully prefer the Rockman SC over the mighty TC1210 Chorus-Flanger.

The Rockman Stereo Echo is in a league of its own. Only tape-based echo exceeds.

The Rockman Instrument Equalizer is my go-to. The way we perceive sound varies in accordance with environmental conditions. e.g. Room size, shape, humidity, temperature, etc... A good quality 1/3 octave EQ is a must-have, IMO.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Chuck Nuggets wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:59 pm The Sustainor and DG are among the worst sounding preamps I've ever heard. Nothing like 1st/2nd album Boston sound. A feeble approximation at best.
Agree to disagree.

I like the sound on the first 2 albums in their mix context, but hearing them isolated by themselves, they are not something you would immediately think of as a "great sound". They are extremelythin any narrowly focused (actually 2 focuses, only for the midrange and the other for the higher frequencies) in the sonic spectrum. It's pretty obvious that they were filtered for the mix to work.

The Sustainor/DG, on the other hand, sound very full and smooth in isolation. Ironically, this is why many players have a hard time with them because they fill up a mix too quickly if not EQ'd properly, especially if doing a lot of layering. And since they are pretty high gain, you need to back off the gain when layering because of the cumulative effect.