Life, Love & Hope / Last Day of School

The equipment produced by SR&D has a very close relationship with the band Boston and its music. This is the place for discussing Boston.
rbc
Site Admin

Life, Love & Hope / Last Day of School

Post by rbc »

I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread here about some Boston music. I'll pick on the song "Last Day of School" from the new album "Life, Love & Hope". It's one of my favorite songs off the album. I guess part of what I like, is Scholz really turns the guitars loose and lets them run. It also reminds me a bit of Brian May's guitar playing. I've forgotten the specific interview, but Scholz mentions how he had gone to great lengths to perfect the piano playing in the song, then proceeded to bury the piano under the guitars in the mix. I got a few chuckles out of those comments. Anyway, those are my two cents.

Best,

--Bruce
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Re: Life, Love & Hope / Last Day of School

Post by Guitarvamp »

I've given the album a few listens. It's very much like Corporate America. Not sure I like the two songs redone from that album - the changes aren't that big (to me), but I guess that's Tom for ya - always tweaking. :) I'll have to keep listening and see what rises to the top.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote:I've given the album a few listens. It's very much like Corporate America. Not sure I like the two songs redone from that album - the changes aren't that big (to me), but I guess that's Tom for ya - always tweaking. :) I'll have to keep listening and see what rises to the top.
It sounded like Scholz was unhappy with "Corporate America" in a number of ways. I think one was trying a more traditional production, with a larger production team. It also sounded like there were post-production issues in the mastering and distribution. I'm kind of guessing the replay of the Corporate America songs on "Life, Love & Hope" was perhaps, to do it better.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

rbc wrote: I'm kind of guessing the replay of the Corporate America songs on "Life, Love & Hope" was perhaps, to do it better.
I figure that, too. I also get the feeling that Tom doesn't want to be rushed, along with the other production/musical things. I get the impression he was rushed on Corporate America.

This album, although diverse in the way that Corporate America was, has a more "good ol' classic Boston" sound, I think.

Right at this very moment, I still think my favorite album is Walk On.