MXR Compressors

Equipment made by Dunlop Manufacturing including Rockman, MXR, Cry Baby, Way Huge Electronics, etc.
rbc
Site Admin

MXR Compressors

Post by rbc »

I noticed that MXR has a few different compressors, the Dyna Comp, Dyna Comp Mini, Super Comp or the Studio Compressor. I was curious if anyone here has favorites, even if they are not Rockman or MXR choices?

The Super Comp and Studio Compressor seem to give you more flexibility, but I don't know how much I would take advantage of that. I should add that I have a Rockman Guitar Compressor and that might be enough for me. I just haven't tried anyone else's compressors.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
GuitarBuilder

Re: MXR Compressors

Post by GuitarBuilder »

I think all of those will be hard-pressed to beat the Rockman.

A high-end studio compressor in the $3-5K range will be necessary to best the Rockman GC.
Boogieman

Post by Boogieman »

What about Origin Effects' large box version of the Cali 76? They are not cheap for a compressor pedal, but nowhere near the $3k mark.

I like the Rockman GC a lot, but I wouldn't mind trying something else, since I also play a bit of bass.
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

The key is to find a compressor that is optimized for the unique decay curve of a guitar or bass. Most compressors use a constant release, which does not work well. The Rockman GC uses a multi-step release which allows for very long note decays even when starting with strong notes. The other problem is the large difference between soft and loud notes on guitars. Again this is where the standard (vocal) compressors fail; the GC has a lead leveler option to accommodate solos.