XP100 damaged by UPS

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
Sunburst

XP100 damaged by UPS

Post by Sunburst »

All,

I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news first:

I picked up a nice XP100 off Craigslist a couple weeks ago but it was damaged in shipping by UPS. The seller had it packed and shipped from a UPS Store where they lightly wrapped each side in bubble wrap and threw it in a box filled with packing peanuts where both sides must have bounced around and collided for several days in transit. The end result was the preamp section was slightly dislodged - one of the plastic supports was rattling around - and the control buttons are now slightly recessed, two of the four speaker screws were ripped out of the particle board, and all four of the speaker screws were ripped out of the particle board on the other side and the speaker was bouncing around in the speaker cabinet! Yikes!

Fortunately, after filing a claim with UPS (with estimates from all three of our beloved - retired or not - Rockman repair experts!), the seller told me the UPS Store informed him that UPS was going to pay the full insurance amount. Lesson here is to remove the speakers before shipping. Or have it packed, shipped, and heavily insured at a UPS Store!

Any ideas how to remount the speakers? Logical options are either inserting dowels (not an easy task with particle board) or using epoxy. Would appreciate your collective thoughts.

Also, any ideas about better replacement speakers? The foam has obviously all disintegrated on these. Refoaming kits are only about $25 and new and comparable Pyle Drivers are only $25 (or less) each. But there have to be much better speakers out there. I was considering these JBLs:

http://www.jbl.com/car-speakers/GTO629_ ... ck#start=1

Thanks in advance for your input!

Very respectfully,

Sunburst
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sunburst on Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sunburst

Re: XP100 damaged by UPS

Post by Sunburst »

The good news is that I also picked up this MINTY XP100 on Mother's Day in New Jersey! What can I say? I made him an offer he couldn't refuse...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sunburst on Tue May 16, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Glad you were able to get the insurance money!
I like the one from Mother's Day. :D
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I haven't received the money yet but hopefully it works out. End result would be a free - albeit broken - XP100!!! With the Mother's Day find I now have two nice ones so... hmm... what should I do with this one?

;)
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Sunburst wrote:hmm... what should I do with this one?

;)
I never say no to donations! :lol:
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Here's what came in today:
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Holy crap, is that awesome!
BerryMir

Post by BerryMir »

Fireful0 wrote:Holy crap, is that awesome!
Just what I was thinking! This looks amazing.
Last edited by BerryMir on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Unfortunately, UPS cut the check out to the seller and he has taken the money and ran! But I am filing a police report against him and hopefully justice will be served!

:|
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Let's hope so!