Sustainor vs Distortion Generator?

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Fireful0

Sustainor vs Distortion Generator?

Post by Fireful0 »

Hey everyone!
Recently, I have been considering buying a Sustainor 200 (even though I wouldn't be buying it for a month or so) but I really would not be using the Clean sounds in it; I would only be using the distortion sound.
That being said, I love the distortion sound in the Sustainor 200, but I think it may be a waste to buy it for one feature only.
Does the Distortion Generator have the same distortion sound / circuit as the Sustainor?
Comments and opinions please! :)
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Sustainor vs Distortion Generator?

Post by rbc »

I can't speak for the circuit used between the two, but I can make some more functional remarks. The Distortion Generator (DG) basically provides a distortion only, single channel guitar amp simulator. The degree of distortion is controlled by the input gain from your guitar, as well as the distortion harmonics and boost control. The only way to play clean is to use the auto-clean circuit. The DG subtracts the noise gate and effects loop. A pre-distortion EQ is added however.

All that being said, the DG came to the market later, so it's easier to get a "newer" DG than compared to a Sustainor. They are also a tad cheaper. They also have the advantage of being simpler, so there is less to go wrong and they are easier to fix.

The loss of the gate might look like a serious downside, but could be offset by using humbucker pickups and quality cabling. It also means you don't have to play around the gates behavior.

Those are the things that immediately come to mind.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Thanks!
I am not too concerned over the noisegate. If it is too noisy, I'll just stick an MXR Smartgate in the effects loop or something.
I like the price of the Distortion Generator better, but I want to get an accurate Sustainor sound with it. I am not sure if that is possible, though. :lol:
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Check out Jarks DG Page:

http://rockman.fr/Reviews/DG.htm

He has some recorded samples at the bottom of the page if you want to hear the DG in action.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Cool!
Thanks!
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

Fireful0 wrote:Hey everyone!
Recently, I have been considering buying a Sustainor 200 (even though I wouldn't be buying it for a month or so) but I really would not be using the Clean sounds in it; I would only be using the distortion sound.
That being said, I love the distortion sound in the Sustainor 200, but I think it may be a waste to buy it for one feature only.
Does the Distortion Generator have the same distortion sound / circuit as the Sustainor?
Comments and opinions please! :)
I'll bet that if you played a Sustainer 200 you would use the clean sounds as well! :D :D
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Probably so. XD