My current Rockman rig

A dedicated forum for posting pictures and other information about Rockman rigs.
Guitarvamp

My current Rockman rig

Post by Guitarvamp »

It's actually two setups in one. One goes with the XP100, and the other is a standalone setup.

rbc
Site Admin

Re: My current Rockman rig

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote:It's actually two setups in one. One goes with the XP100, and the other is a standalone setup.
Unless I missed something, it looks like your standalone setup is fronted by a Distortion Generator. Do you prefer the DG to the Sustainor?
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

rbc wrote:Unless I missed something, it looks like your standalone setup is fronted by a Distortion Generator. Do you prefer the DG to the Sustainor?
You are correct. Good eye! I built this setup based on the Distortion Generator for dirty tone (and the Compressor for cleans), but there are also several MIDI loops that you don't see. I set them up as A/B switchers. While I love Sustainors and do use them quite a bit, this setup allows me to also switch in non-Rockman distortions (or use the Distortion Generator) and just keep seperate tones (and noise) a little more under control. Think of it as a three way system - clean, dirty, and other.

I love setting up and designing rack systems. You can tell what era I'm from. 8-)
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote: You are correct. Good eye! I built this setup based on the Distortion Generator for dirty tone (and the Compressor for cleans), but there are also several MIDI loops that you don't see. I set them up as A/B switchers. While I love Sustainors and do use them quite a bit, this setup allows me to also switch in non-Rockman distortions (or use the Distortion Generator) and just keep seperate tones (and noise) a little more under control. Think of it as a three way system - clean, dirty, and other.

I love setting up and designing rack systems. You can tell what era I'm from. 8-)
Thanks for your comments, it's interesting to hear opinions on the sonic differences between the Sustainor and Distortion Generator. I've been considering how to get started with the Rockmodules. I'm on the fence about whether to start with the Sustainor or Distortion Generator. I'm sure I'll eventually have both ;)
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

I would start with a Sustainor. ANY Sustainor. Don't get caught up in the 100 vs 200 thing.

The Sustainor has your clean and your dirty, along with a gate and some EQing. It really has a lot of options. The Distortion Generator will do your distortion, and that's about it. You'd still need a clean sound (compressor if you want to stay consistant).

I'd really check into an EQ then, also. Any EQ will do ok, but a better choice for one will have a 500Hz slider. That's the frequency that does it. The current MXR 10 band works very well. It's also not out of line, since Tom Scholz used the 6 band MXR pedals in the early days.

You'll have to let us know what you decide, and how it works out.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote:I would start with a Sustainor. ANY Sustainor. Don't get caught up in the 100 vs 200 thing.
That's probably where I'll start. The Smart Gate and effects loop are big advantages, on top of the clean modes.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

rbc wrote: That's probably where I'll start. The Smart Gate and effects loop are big advantages, on top of the clean modes.
Just for ease of wiring and obtaining Rockman units, the Sustainor is always a sure bet.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Guitarvamp wrote:Just for ease of wiring and obtaining Rockman units, the Sustainor is always a sure bet.
Well, it looks like it will be a Rockman Sustainor Model 100A, serial 9731 from Steep Falls, Maine. I'll post more when I get my hands on it.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

Sweet! Congrats!