Sunburst's Studio Setup

A dedicated forum for posting pictures and other information about Rockman rigs.
Sunburst

Sunburst's Studio Setup

Post by Sunburst »

Hmm... where to begin?

[attachment=1]IMG_7212.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sunburst on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sunburst

Re: Sunburst's Studio Setup

Post by Sunburst »

My studio workstation consists of both XPR and Sustainor setups (all refurbed by Dave Accomando of PSRR):
IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG
There is always a "real estate" issue when putting together Rockman setups. First, you have to make tough decisions choosing which and how many modules to put in your setups. And second, you have to have an even number of modules unless you want an empty space in a rack tray!

I initially set up everything like Dave Accomando suggested on his PSRR website. Both the XPR and Sustainor setups made sense. My setups remain that way with a few exceptions, which I will discuss later.

HINT: While I use three Smart Gate modules on my workstation desk, I use MXR Smart Gate pedals on Remote Loops in my other setups. That extra rack space comes in handy, especially, when putting together an SR&D stage head with only three rack spaces (assuming you also have the Rockman 500 power amplifier). And I can usually pick up a used MXR Smart Gate any day of the week for $75 or so while I may not see a Smart Gate module available for months and they sell for $300-500 these days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sunburst on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The XPR setup consists of an XPR, Smart Gate, three EQs (pre-clean, pre-distortion, and pre-mid scoop), a Stereo Chorus, a Stereo Echo, and two Midi Octopi:
IMG_7220.JPG
The modules are in the effects loop of the XPR and are daisy-chained in the order above. I don't put the Smart Gate on a Remote Loop in my studio setup (but do in my live setup).

I added the Stereo Chorus for the LONG CHORUS feature and since it's already there I use it for all chorus functions, the Reverb 2 on the XPR for reverb, and the Stereo Echo for long delay.

The XPR was built on many of the simple circuits found in the X100 headphone amp. While that poses some limitations (noise, delay time, etc.), it also means an XPR sounds a lot like a programmable X100 on steroids!!! I mitigate the limitations with the modules in the effects loop. So my XPR setup provides me with the best of both worlds!!!
Last edited by Sunburst on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The Sustainor setup consists of a PSRR Mighty Mouse Quad-Modded Sustainor 200 factory Double IC (late 21,xxx), a Smart Gate (in the distortion effects loop), three EQs (pre- clean, pre-distortion, and post), a Stereo Chorus, two Stereo Echoes (one for reverb and the other for long delay), and two Midi Octopi:
IMG_7221.JPG
Do you need a Smart Gate in the distortion effects loop of your Sustainor? Probably not. You could set the Smart Gate section on the Sustainor at an acceptable level for both cleans and distortion. But the Smart Gate module is full band and placing it in the effects loop only for distortion is better (plus you don't affect the dynamics of the clean channel at all!).

This setup also has a Distortion Generator loop consisting of a Distortion Generator (late 15,xxx w/ PSRR effects loop mod), Compressor, Smart Gate, EQ, Midi Octopus, and Dual Remote Loop located under the desk on the right:
IMG_7222.JPG
The Distortion Generator loop is on its own Remote Loop. The Compressor module is more for show but can be used as the clean channel if I wanted to use only the Distortion Generator loop.

Do you need a Smart Gate for your Distortion Generator? Absolutely, if you are recording and/or don't want any unnecessary noise!
Last edited by Sunburst on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I obviously put my setup together to show off my collection, which includes at least one of each module (and face plate variant)!

I used to incorporate a Sustainor 100 and Stereo Chorus/Delay in my Sustainor setup but the second Sustainor wasn't really necessary with the Mighty Mouse. Plus there is always the "real estate" issue. I couldn't maintain the stereo field with a Stereo Chorus/Delay, Stereo Chorus, and Stereo Echo in sequence so I replaced the Stereo Chorus/Delay with a second Stereo Echo (I also prefer about 250-300 ms of delay at a low volume for reverb as opposed to the only 200 ms available from the Stereo Chorus/Delay). I still keep my 100, 100A, and Stereo Chorus/Delay on top of the right studio monitor on my workstation desk so technically at least one of each module is still on display!
IMG_7272.JPG
I use Remote Loops to incorporate both my vintage MXR Phase 90 and M117 Flanger. I place them before the Stereo Chorus. I know Eddie Van Halen puts them out front but I'm not necessarily trying to sound like Tom Scholz or Eddie Van Halen!

Both setups go to an ART MX622 3-channel stereo mixer directly into my Roland studio monitors (and out to my ART headphone distribution amplifier and/or PA when jamming!). The third channel is used to test all of the equipment I acquire every week!

I also have a two ULTIMATUM pedals and several ACOUSTIC GUITAR PEDALS (both versions) and two A12-50 amplifiers. The ULTIMATUM pedals are very cool and can be inserted in the Sustainor effects loop. No real real use for the AGPs in an XPR or Sustainor setup. The A12-50s are cool but I haven't yet decided how I will set them up (most likely together in stereo with modules in the effects loop of one while using the other simply as a power amp and speaker)...

[attachment=1]IMG_7229.JPG[/attachment}
Last edited by Sunburst on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

My live XPR stage head and XP100 setups deviate slightly from my studio setup. I only incorporate one EQ (relying on the XPR's pre and post EQ for more nuances) and use an MXR Smart Gate pedal on a Remote Loop instead of a module for "real estate" reasons.
IMG_7226.JPG
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

And then there's my Rockman Rackmount Concepts (RMC) mini stage head setup:
IMG_7227.JPG
Basically the bare minimum I believe you need to get the full Rockman sound: Mighty Mouse Sustainor 200 factory Double IC (early 19,5xx), pre and post EQs, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Echo, and a Midi Octopus. It's a compact, portable, standalone Rockman preamp or can even be used in the effects loop of a guitar amplifier to capture the Rockman sound!
Last edited by Sunburst on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

And my Pro Bass setup:
IMG_5131.JPG
The Pro Bass itself is actually with Boston right now!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

And finally, my headphone amp collection (one of each Rockman headphone amp variant):
image1.JPG
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Nice collection of gear!!
Do you do any recording or play out anywhere with these setups?