Eq"ing and selecting speakers.

New to Rockman gear? Here's some help. Questions are welcome.
f550maranello2

Eq"ing and selecting speakers.

Post by f550maranello2 »

Hello Everyone,

So Iv been collecting Rockman stuff for a few months and have some questions for you guys.
My current setup is:

sustainor model 100 for clean, 200 for distortion, I have a loop eq and post eq, chorus, delay and finally a digitech meq dual 14 after everything going into my mixer than to a regular home stereo with a pair of Jbl 4311's from the 70's.. Every module has been refurbished by Mr. Ferringer.

So with that out of the way my issue is with eq ing everything, Iv followed Davids A's recommended settings but no matter what I do I cannot get this rig to sound good. It just sounds ok at low volumes but at higher volumes just sounds way too thin and cheezy for the lack of works.. I have looked into upgrading the amp and speakers but im not sure thats where the problem lies. I only play in my living room and dont take this out at all.

So if anyone can maybe give me some examples or their setup OR have any input as to what I may be doing wrong, I have another Identical setup in another room and it sounds very similar

Thanks guys!
Sebastian
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Eq"ing and selecting speakers.

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

You mention having the Digitech at the end of your chain... if that's true, then it might be misplaced.
(Though, I'm not familiar with David's recommendations).
When I use mine, I use one channel for Pre-Distortion EQ in the loop and the other for Post-Distortion EQ just before the Stereo Chorus module.

Another issue is whether or not it's been converted to PGE-2 specs.... that would make a difference on the EQ curves you would use.
Again, not sure if David's recommendations are based on a modded Digitech or not.

If you can post your whole signal chain and maybe a recording of what you are getting, that might help better diagnose the issue.
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

I may be your home stereo! I've never had good results with those; after I switched to a good PA-style power amp and 3-way PA speakers all was well.
f550maranello2

Post by f550maranello2 »

Hello and thanks for replying.

So the reason I put the Digitech at the end is because I felt it made the most dramatic change in the sound, I mean I have the pre distortion and pre chorus eq's set the way I like it and it just sounded better to me this way. It is NOT converted to PGE2 specs its just stock. I really want to blame the stereo but not sure if that's the problem yet.

Also, is it normal for the clean channel on the sustainor to overdrive the chorus? Reason I ask is because I use woflgangs primarily for playing and I have noticed that with the output volume set on the triangles I usually overdrive the chorus preamp.
RockmanCentralBob

I've used a Sony Receiver as my poweramp and stereo speakers (currently a set of Bose bookshelf speakers) as my monitors for 20+ years and never had a problem.

So, you've moved the Digitech from where it's supposed to be in the chain, it's not modded, and you have the settings on the Sustainor going by the triangles.....

So, are you really using Davids recommended settings, or have you altered them using your own logic?
f550maranello2

Post by f550maranello2 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:I've used a Sony Receiver as my poweramp and stereo speakers (currently a set of Bose bookshelf speakers) as my monitors for 20+ years and never had a problem.

So, you've moved the Digitech from where it's supposed to be in the chain, it's not modded, and you have the settings on the Sustainor going by the triangles.....

So, are you really using Davids recommended settings, or have you altered them using your own logic?

Hi,

So to clarify: I have a rockman eq in the sustainors distortion loop that is set how I like it, i than have another rockman eq after the sustainor before the chorus. Then the stereo echo , and the digitech then the amp. The triangles are set on the output volume of both clean and distortion sustainors , this is where I notice it’s pretty easy to overdrive the chorus on the clean channel.
RockmanCentralBob

Ok, so basically you aren't using David's recommended settings, have set things up how you like it, but you can't get it to sound good like David has demonstrated it can... got it!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant, but you started by saying you were following his settings but can't get it to sound good. But, you really AREN'T following his recommendations.

I would suggest going back to David's settings and signal chain if you want it to sound like that.
f550maranello2

Post by f550maranello2 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Ok, so basically you aren't using David's recommended settings, have set things up how you like it, but you can't get it to sound good like David has demonstrated it can... got it!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound flippant, but you started by saying you were following his settings but can't get it to sound good. But, you really AREN'T following his recommendations.

I would suggest going back to David's settings and signal chain if you want it to sound like that.
Hello again, so from my previous post I explained that the rig it set up exactly how David recommended with the exception that the digitech eq is at the end of the chain before the amp and mixer ,reason for that is because I could not get the clean channel to sound the way I wanted with the post distortion eq because it clipps the chorus input easily. Hence I use the digitech after the rockmodules to eq the clean channels to how I like.

Both of my rockman rigs are identical and both easily clip the chorus input from the clean channel even if the sustainors output volume is at 0db which is why I have the digitech where at the end , I will add that all the modules have been refurbished by David Ferringer

The distortion channel doesn't clip the chorus even if pushed hard on either rig, it just hard to make it sound like the clips I hear on YouTube of tommy decarlo or that guy that posted his full stack clip a few weeks ago.
RockmanCentralBob

You do know that the Sustainor has 2 volume sliders and that one of them could be used to adjust the Clean volume to reduce clipping the Chorus.

Also that the Digitech is a MIDI EQ that can handle patch changes, and that the output level (not to mention EQ curve) for each patch is programable, right?

In other words, there was no need for you to change the position of the Digitech.