I'm new: Here's my minimalist rig

A dedicated forum for posting pictures and other information about Rockman rigs.
eicca

I'm new: Here's my minimalist rig

Post by eicca »

I have a Rockman Sustainor 200. Scored it from Reverb last summer after seeing Boston live, getting backstage passes, the whole shabang. I'm a poor college student so my equipment consists of my Sustainor, an old MacBook, and sometimes I throw in a Joyo 6-band EQ pedal if I need to tweak something.

I originally didn't like the Rockman because of the super-compressed nature of the tone, but after some playing around and seeing what I could do with it, I've gotten it exactly how I like it. Here's my demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wlvVXpszmM
#RockmanAddict
RockmanCentralBob

Re: I'm new: Here's my minimalist rig

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

You've come a long way, Taylor! Sounds much better than your earlier videos! Whether or not the tones are exactly like the album is kinda moot... they are definitely close enough.

And don't worry about your rig being minimalist. For recording, you don't need anything else. Just double or quadrouple track all your rhythms in mono and pan them hard left/right and you'll REALLY start hearing the Boston sound.

Well done!!
eicca

Post by eicca »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:You've come a long way, Taylor! Sounds much better than your earlier videos! Whether or not the tones are exactly like the album is kinda moot... they are definitely close enough.

And don't worry about your rig being minimalist. For recording, you don't need anything else. Just double or quadrouple track all your rhythms in mono and pan them hard left/right and you'll REALLY start hearing the Boston sound.

Well done!!
Hey thanks!

My next project is to get you to spill the beans on how you did the hyperspace pedal ;)
#RockmanAddict
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Sounds really close to the original records!
Cool to see how you are using the Rockman Sustainor! It will be a ton easier than setting the wah to an exact setting. :)
If you succeed on your project of getting RockmanCentraBob to share his hyperspace pedal, let me know! :lol:
eicca

Post by eicca »

Fireful0 wrote:Sounds really close to the original records!
Cool to see how you are using the Rockman Sustainor! It will be a ton easier than setting the wah to an exact setting. :)
If you succeed on your project of getting RockmanCentraBob to share his hyperspace pedal, let me know! :lol:
I've got a basic idea for one so far but I definitely hope to get further input. It involves an analog delay that can self-oscillate, a two-axis expression pedal, and a little bit of custom wiring. The basic idea is to wire the side to side axis on the pedal adjust the feedback from 0 to 100%, and the vertical axis of the pedal to adjust the delay time from 20ms to around 500 or 600ms. That way you can effectively go from full effect to none using the side to side axis at any point on the vertical axis, and the vertical axis will give you that hyperspace sound. Hopefully that makes sense.
#RockmanAddict
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

eicca wrote:My next project is to get you to spill the beans on how you did the hyperspace pedal ;)
Unfortunately, it's not mine to give away.... hope you understand!!
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Eicca, from what I understand, you are 100% correct.
One direction of the expression controls feedback of the delay, while the other would be delay time.
Now, wiring that would be a pain, though! :lol:
RockmanCentralBob wrote:
eicca wrote:My next project is to get you to spill the beans on how you did the hyperspace pedal ;)
Unfortunately, it's not mine to give away.... hope you understand!!
Ahh, I see! :)
eicca

Post by eicca »

Fireful0 wrote:Eicca, from what I understand, you are 100% correct.
One direction of the expression controls feedback of the delay, while the other would be delay time.
Now, wiring that would be a pain, though! :lol:
Unless I am mistaken, I could just wire that two axis expression pedal straight into the pot junctions on a Delay pedal. There might have to be an extra potentiometer in line just to make sure the values are correct.

But my knowledge of guitar pedal wiring is painfully small. Like, nonexistent.
#RockmanAddict