Distortion generator not functioning properly

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
jeffrey256

Distortion generator not functioning properly

Post by jeffrey256 »

Hello all, I bought a few Rockman modules over the past two years, one of them being the distortion generator. I haven't gotten a chance to play with them much yet, but decided to play around with them a few weeks ago. On my distortion generator I noticed that for a few moments it will play Nice, clear, and smooth. However, all of a sudden the volume will jump up and it will get all crackly and noisy. It does this on and off. I figured that it may need a re cap like so many of the modules do,so I replaced the capacitor's. After I was done, I plugged it in and started to play, and while the problem seemed slightly better, it was still doing the same thing pretty much. Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be happening, and how to fix it?
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Distortion generator not functioning properly

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Could be a scratchy slider....
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Could be a scratchy slider....
Agreed. Try some Deoxit D5 spray on it. Works wonders.
jeffrey256

Post by jeffrey256 »

Could it be a scratchy slider even when the position of the slider isn't being changed? Also, I forgot to mention in my original post that no matter what settings I have it on, as soon as I pluck a note the red light for the distortion threshold comes on.
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Yeah, it sounds like a volume slider issue.
I have a similar problem with my Roland JC-55 amp.
The sound gets are crackly and sometimes drops the volume to un-hearable levels for no reason. After adjusting the Treble control, it goes right back to normal.
jeffrey256

Post by jeffrey256 »

Fireful0 wrote:Yeah, it sounds like a volume slider issue.
I have a similar problem with my Roland JC-55 amp.
The sound gets are crackly and sometimes drops the volume to un-hearable levels for no reason. After adjusting the Treble control, it goes right back to normal.
Would that be causing the issue with the distortion threshold though?
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

I mean, it is very possible. The only thing I can think of, as you already replaced the caps.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Other possibilities are a loose part (replaced capacitor, perhaps), cold solder joint, a piece of solder blob causing an intermittent short, a long lead that is shorting out on the metal shielding inside the case, etc.

Perhaps try taking it out of the case and giving it a tap test while unplugged and holding it at different angles/upside down to see if any loose solder falls out. Also, check if any of the leads seem a bit long or any parts are loose. You can also try reflowing the solder points of the replaced parts.

Good luck!!
jeffrey256

Post by jeffrey256 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Other possibilities are a loose part (replaced capacitor, perhaps), cold solder joint, a piece of solder blob causing an intermittent short, a long lead that is shorting out on the metal shielding inside the case, etc.

Perhaps try taking it out of the case and giving it a tap test while unplugged and holding it at different angles/upside down to see if any loose solder falls out. Also, check if any of the leads seem a bit long or any parts are loose. You can also try reflowing the solder points of the replaced parts.

Good luck!!

Thank you! I'll give it a shot, it was doing the same thing before I replaced the caps so maybe it is a problem with an existing part or something, I'll give it a good look through and hopefully I find something! Thank you!