New way to achieve the Hyperspace sound?

The equipment produced by SR&D has a very close relationship with the band Boston and its music. This is the place for discussing Boston.
Ash517

New way to achieve the Hyperspace sound?

Post by Ash517 »

TC Electronic’s Flashback 2 delay has a pressure sensitive footswitch which (on the tape setting) cranks the feedback and changes delay time based on the pressure you put on the footswitch. The sounds it can make are extremely close to that of the Hyperspace pedal.
https://youtu.be/9Fg7gpD-iU0
GEAR:
Rockman Guitar Ace (Dunlop)
Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Alpine White)
Boss Katana 100
Line 6 POD Go
RockmanCentralBob

Re: New way to achieve the Hyperspace sound?

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Hyperspace pedal?
I don't think so.

Sounds like a one trick poney in that mode...
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

I have actually thought about this too.
The limitation is that with the pressure sensitive button, you will only be able to control one effect.
The hyperspace requires 2: One for feedback, and one for delay time.
RockmanCentralBob

Fireful0 wrote:I have actually thought about this too.
The limitation is that with the pressure sensitive button, you will only be able to control one effect.
Actually, a lot more than that...
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:
Well, it is a good start, though.
Closer than nothing. :D
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:
If I recall correctly, HSP controls head position, repeats, and echo/playback on/off. Did I miss something?
RockmanCentralBob

Yes.... quite a bit, actually.
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Well, I am gonna be honest.
No one is going to be able to replicate the exact hyperspace pedal, and the people who know aren't ever gonna tell how it's done.

So, for me, I am gonna get as close as I can and be happy with that.
I don't need the exact way to do it.
It's all about having fun. ;)
RockmanCentralBob

Exactly!! For your average listener, anything you guys do that is in the ballpark of a HSP effect is going to impress.

Again, if I wasn't explicitly asked NOT to reveal my understanding of how the HSP works, I'd be happy to share. But I try to help where I can, and if I make a comment like the one above, I'm doing what I can to get you to think deeper. Guitarbuilder's comments weren't wrong... just incomplete. There IS quite a bit going on inside to get all the nuances of Tom's unit. I'm a perfectionist so I really try to nail things as closely as possible, and that's taken a ton of trial and error. But for the most part, you wouldn't notice unless I hadn't done the addition mods. It's more about refining it to make it smoother, quieter, more responsive.

I've got mine dialed in pretty damn close to Tom's, but there are still some things that he does that I haven't gotten around to implementing yet. Well, I've tried several things (building my own circuits) but they didn't work out as I'd hoped. I have a pretty good idea how to do it other ways, but it involves more equipment and I haven't gone down that road yet.
eicca

Post by eicca »

I just discovered this pedal too. Using the software you CAN configure the pressure sensitive button to control up to three parameters at once, and their values through the travel of the button. So if the pedal is configured "off" at the top and bottom of the button, but through the middle is set to full repeats, full mix and a linear adjustment of delay time, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
#RockmanAddict