My rig

A dedicated forum for posting pictures and other information about Rockman rigs.
Fireful0

Re: My rig

Post by Fireful0 »

Guess what arrived in the mail today?
A ROCKMAN SUSTAINOR 200!
20819108_333482063760374_6369417239786288783_o.jpg
Thanks to the awesome Sunburst, I was able to pick this up for pretty cheap!
Since I have a Sustainor now, I have decided to let some of my Rockman collection go.
If you want to see what I have for sale, click the link below!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/fireful0/m.htm ... pg=&_from=
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

Very nice. Enjoy!
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

I already am! :D
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

Wait! Sunburst sold you a cheap Sustainor? ;) ;)
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Well, for what I got, it was pretty cheap. :D
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Alrighty! Found an X100 that came with a Tascam PortaStudio One on ShopGoodwill a couple weeks ago.
Got it for 64 bucks + shipping! (Mainly wanted it for the X100 that came with the power adaptor)
FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY!

From the Goodwill site, I was really hoping that the weird little white stuff on the front was tape residue instead of scratches.
Turns out, it was tape residue, so I will be able to take it off.

Also, it is a Rev 10, so double score. :D

Only problem I am having is that the compression is WAY TOO strong.
If I play an E chord on Dist setting, it will clip until it gets halfway through the sustain.
Tried adjusting the gain on the back with no solution.
Is this normal? Is there a way to lower the compressor?
Thanks in advance!
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Fireful0 wrote:Alrighty! Found an X100 that came with a Tascam PortaStudio One on ShopGoodwill a couple weeks ago.
Got it for 64 bucks + shipping! (Mainly wanted it for the X100 that came with the power adaptor)
FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY!

From the Goodwill site, I was really hoping that the weird little white stuff on the front was tape residue instead of scratches.
Turns out, it was tape residue, so I will be able to take it off.

Also, it is a Rev 10, so double score. :D

Only problem I am having is that the compression is WAY TOO strong.
If I play an E chord on Dist setting, it will clip until it gets halfway through the sustain.
Tried adjusting the gain on the back with no solution.
Is this normal? Is there a way to lower the compressor?
Thanks in advance!
Nice find! From one of the pictures, it looks like it still has an original electrolytic capacitor. If you haven't changed all of them out yet, I would start there. Any corrosion on the battery springs?
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Good point. Thought about paying B5 Amplication to recap it for me, but 95 bucks for a full recap is a bit out of my pricerange. :lol:
So, yeah! Probably gonna need to replace the caps.
There is actually, not a bit of corrosion on the springs. There is even the original full writing on the back of the headphone amp! :)

Did notice that one of the ICs looks like it is half fried.
Probably gonna start by replacing this, and see if it gets better.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Fireful0 wrote:Good point. Thought about paying B5 Amplication to recap it for me, but 95 bucks for a full recap is a bit out of my pricerange. :lol:
There is actually, not a bit of corrosion on the springs. There is even the original full writing on the back of the headphone amp! :)
Several years ago, I had Dwight recap my first headphone amp. He did a great job, however, I have learned to do them myself. It is pretty easy, if you have the right equipment. I would definitely recommend a desoldering gun. A tad expensive but well worth it for the time savings and to avoid butchering the circuit board. Also, I use Kester 63/37, No Clean, .031" diameter solder (thanks Lance).
Let me know if you need some help. I can provide you with the brands, specs, and where I get the electrolytic capacitors.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Fireful0 wrote:Good point. Thought about paying B5 Amplication to recap it for me, but 95 bucks for a full recap is a bit out of my pricerange. :lol:

Did notice that one of the ICs looks like it is half fried.
Probably gonna start by replacing this, and see if it gets better.
I can't tell from the reflection. Are you talking about the LM386N-1? If so, I doubt that will fix the issue you described. I have found that when one of those goes bad you only get sound out of either the right or left side of the headphones, depending on which one went bad. By no means am I an expert, but I would start with the capacitors. You would be amazed at how much better they sound with new ones.

I just noticed though that the LM386N-1 IC's are socketed. I've never seen a socketed IC on a Rockman headphone amp before. They have always been soldered straight to the board. Definitely makes it easier to replace. :)