How hard is DIY refurbishing an X100?

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
eicca

How hard is DIY refurbishing an X100?

Post by eicca »

Here’s the deal. A guy is offering me an X100 for $50. He lost the battery cover years ago so it isn’t verified working. He says it worked perfect when he put it away, and the pics he sent me of the battery compartment show totally clean springs, no corrosion

Another guy is offering a cleaned and re-capped Soloist for $140, verified perfect and ready to rumble.

So, do I take a chance on the X100 plus $25 for a battery cover, and attempt to refurb it myself if it needs it? I can solder just fine, but how much are all the capacitors?
#RockmanAddict
X100Ver10

Re: How hard is DIY refurbishing an X100?

Post by X100Ver10 »

eicca wrote:Here’s the deal. A guy is offering me an X100 for $50. He lost the battery cover years ago so it isn’t verified working. He says it worked perfect when he put it away, and the pics he sent me of the battery compartment show totally clean springs, no corrosion

Another guy is offering a cleaned and re-capped Soloist for $140, verified perfect and ready to rumble.

So, do I take a chance on the X100 plus $25 for a battery cover, and attempt to refurb it myself if it needs it? I can solder just fine, but how much are all the capacitors?
Buy the X100. If you don't, give me his number. :D The electrolytic capacitors are peanuts. With shipping, the 11 capacitors might cost you $10. Probably less. Let me know if you need part numbers for each capacitor that I use in them.

BTW - that Soloist is probably mine, if you saw it on eBay. That should tell you something if I am recommending buying the X100 instead of the Soloist. There is nothing wrong with the Soloist, however, BUY the X100. That is a great deal.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Also, if you plan to keep the X100 and use it, I wouldn't even bother with getting a battery door. Just get a Rockadaptor power supply.

What's that you ask? Why yes, I do have some for sale on eBay. ;)
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

X100.
Sounds the best. :D
eicca

Post by eicca »

The guy with the X100 has been taking a while to finalize the deal. I gotta have one in the mail by tomorrow. If he can’t make that deadline, how much “worse” is the Soloist? I am intrigued by the option to turn off the chorus. That would make recording a lot better.
#RockmanAddict
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Well the X100 you can turn off chorus and echo separately.
You just can't turn off both echo and chorus at the same time.
Personally never owned a Soloist, but I wouldn't be able to live without the CLN2 setting. (Something the soloist lacks)
rbc
Site Admin

Post by rbc »

The Ultralight has CLN2 but no echo. You can also turn off the chorus. I can see that being attractive for recording the bare guitar simulation and adding digital effects later. On the other hand, less than 2000 of the Ultralight were manufactured. It might be pretty hard to find one of those.
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
eicca

Post by eicca »

What about a Rockman IIB? Any reason I should choose the X100 over the IIB if the IIB is a good enough deal?
#RockmanAddict
Fireful0

Post by Fireful0 »

Honestly, never owned a Rockman IIB.
I owned an original Rockman, but it was a bit too 70sish for me.
The best way to describe the distortion sound is Clean 1 with a very 70s overdrive. :lol:
Owning an X100 now, I am never looking back. The distortion beats ever other headphone amp, IMO.

This video kinda defines what I am talking about. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEc0VcmCqTc

That being said, though, if you NEED a headphone amp, as you say you do, I would probably go Rockman IIB.
The Clean 2 option is one you will probably want. Even if you don't ever use it, at least you have the option.
eicca

Post by eicca »

Great. Now I've got three options. Possibly broken X100, working-needing-refurb IIB with Rockadaptor, or totally refurbished Soloist without power supply.

WHY do I have to get into collecting these things while still rocking a college budget...
#RockmanAddict