Considering modding my Guitar Ace...

Equipment made by Dunlop Manufacturing including Rockman, MXR, Cry Baby, Way Huge Electronics, etc.
Ash517

Considering modding my Guitar Ace...

Post by Ash517 »

So a while ago I posted on the Headphone Amps forum about a mod I found on Facebook for the Metal Ace. The OP claimed that it "sounded like and Ultimatum" after. Whether or not that's true is up for debate, however what isn't up for debate is that the mod was essentially just removing a jumper which would in turn disable the compressor. I will openly say that, for as much as I love my Guitar Ace, I hate that compression circuit with a fiery passion. Nothing like the Sustainor's circuit at all and frankly WAAAAAY too squishy. Knowing that, would removing the compressor have a negative impact on the tone (perhaps reduced clarity or something of that nature)? I'm seriously considering doing this, as it probably would also help out the signal to noise ratio in addition to helping the tone not be so squishy. I already have the potentiometer (input gain I think?) fully counter-clockwise to prevent the compressor from being overactive, but it doesn't help that much. Any help (even better, sound clips of said mod) would be much appreciated!
GEAR:
Rockman Guitar Ace (Dunlop)
Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Alpine White)
Boss Katana 100
Line 6 POD Go
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Considering modding my Guitar Ace...

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Hard to say...in most of the Rockman's, the compressor is where a lot of the mid boost is coming from.
But, we're talking about the Metal Ace, so if anything, it has a mid scoop.

I would say just disconnect one side of the jumper (effectively removing it from the circuit), making sure to put a little electrical tape over the end so it doesn't randomly short something out, and see how you like it. If it doesn't float your boat, then just solder it back. You could also put it on a switch so you could easily bring it in/out of the circuit.
Ash517

Post by Ash517 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Hard to say...in most of the Rockman's, the compressor is where a lot of the mid boost is coming from.
But, we're talking about the Metal Ace, so if anything, it has a mid scoop.

I would say just disconnect one side of the jumper (effectively removing it from the circuit), making sure to put a little electrical tape over the end so it doesn't randomly short something out, and see how you like it. If it doesn't float your boat, then just solder it back. You could also put it on a switch so you could easily bring it in/out of the circuit.
I have a guitar ace, but still it doesn't have any kind of mid boost going on that I can tell (in a blindfold test, I'd guess it was an over compressed sansamp rather than a Rockman), so I decided to give this a go. I pulled the top thingy off of the jumper, and all that did was make it clip the input (a very harsh fizzy sound) while remaining compressed. Should I try to remove the whole jumper (including the part with the three metal bits that stick up)?
GEAR:
Boss Katana 100
Line 6 POD Go
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Beats me... I'm not sure what you are looking at or what you are disconnecting.
I was just going by your description about removing a "jumper wire".

But, the Ultimatum does have a "fizzy" quality to it, so maybe that's what the guy was saying sounds "just like an Ultimatum".
I almost ALWAYS laugh when someone makes that or a similar claim.
Most of the time these people are COMPLETELY tone deaf!!!
Ash517

Post by Ash517 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote:Beats me... I'm not sure what you are looking at or what you are disconnecting.
I was just going by your description about removing a "jumper wire".

But, the Ultimatum does have a "fizzy" quality to it, so maybe that's what the guy was saying sounds "just like an Ultimatum".
I almost ALWAYS laugh when someone makes that or a similar claim.
Most of the time these people are COMPLETELY tone deaf!!!
I know whatcha mean. At this point the guitar ace is more of a toy to me than anything (at the very least it's got a nice clean sound). I appreciate your help :D
GEAR:
Boss Katana 100
Line 6 POD Go