What happens to all of our guitar gear when we die?

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
darthoverdrive

What happens to all of our guitar gear when we die?

Post by darthoverdrive »

Ok, so the wife asks me a question the other day and she actually made a good point. She asked ‘what am I going to do with all your guitar stuff if you die?’

Granted she has always joked about throwing all my stuff away when I die but I got to thinking about it, she really wouldn’t know what to do with it and I’d be too dead to do something about it.

I said throwing it away would be dumb as there is a lot of money tied up in all the pedals and gear I’ve collected over the years. I’ve got several plastic containers filled with pedals, not all name brand but in great condition none the less. It would definitely be a shame to have all that end up in the landfill. I’ve spent the last ten years putting together a decent Rockman setup and I’ve probably spent $2,000 doing so. I didn’t keep track and not sure if I want to know, seems like a lot of money for 30 year old gear. I cringe at the thought of that being thrown out.

So I thought up a few options,..
Leave it to family. No one else really plays electric guitar. Trying to get the grandkids interested though.
Have a garage sell.
Sell it to a music store or pawn shop.
Give it away.
Make a ‘Guitar Gear Will’ before I go.

Anyway, I’d like to hear what others thoughts are on this.
JohnCT

Re: What happens to all of our guitar gear when we die?

Post by JohnCT »

I think we all have to face that at one point or another.

In addition to my gear, I also have some vacuum tube hifi equipment, in particular two Fisher X1000 integrated amps from 1962. Worth about $3000 each they are. One was my dad's that he bought brand new and the other is one I picked up about 20 years ago.

My two sons will gladly take my guitars, effects, amps, etc. as they're both musicians but I don't know what will eventually become of the two Fishers. My wife will use them but we're the same age, so...

John
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Um... where do you think I get a lot of my deals on Rockman gear?

HINT: dead guys!

;)
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Sunburst wrote:Um... where do you think I get a lot of my deals on Rockman gear?

HINT: dead guys!

;)
That's just sad....
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

... who have moved on to much better things like hanging out with George Harrison and Jim Hendrix!!!

:D
Last edited by Sunburst on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

Sad but true. I figure many of my wife’s things she had before we were married would go to her sons and family, photo albums, family mementos and such. I think the same would go to my daughter and family.

Guitar stuff is just stuff. Not of much use if you don’t know what it is or what to do with it. Guess I can always tell her to logon here and go to the For Sell section ;)

Not really trying to bum people out with the topic, it's just something to think about.
f550maranello2

Post by f550maranello2 »

The answer is simple. Your wife sells all your stuff for the price you told her you paid for it lol!!!
GuitarBuilder

Post by GuitarBuilder »

I'd like to donate the cool stuff to music/guitar museums. The rest they can sell off.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

I have a few older pedals I bought in the 70's and then some I've bought online, they might be good enough for a guitar museum. One of these weekends I'll have to dig my stuff out of the closet just to see how much I have.