Power adapter issue

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
Patrick45015

Power adapter issue

Post by Patrick45015 »

I have the power adapter and 2 X100s. The adapter is so touchy. I have to pull and wiggle it to find the sweet spot and once I do I don't dare look at it for fear I will piss it off lol.

Any ideas on a remedy? It's exactly the same with both X100s so it's definitely the adapter
X100Ver10

Re: Power adapter issue

Post by X100Ver10 »

I had a flaky adapter and, as soon as I cleaned the 3 contacts, it worked great. Use Isopropyl Alcohol or Deoxit D5.

Also, I know you said that it does it with both x100's, however, check both amps for a loose battery spring or two. Pretty common. You will have to open up the amps though. Hold the battery spring circuit board with thumb and fore finger from one hand near the spring you are testing. With the fingers from the other hand, gently twist the spring to the right and left to see if it moves near the soldered end. Use very light pressure. If it moves, resolder that spring. Also, you can pull the spring gently outward to test for looseness too. If it pulls all the way out, it's loose. :D The springs could also be compressed and are not making good contact with the adapter. If that is the case, gently pull the springs outward to stretch them a little. Do this gently. Don't bend the spring out of shape. It takes a little finesse.
Patrick45015

Post by Patrick45015 »

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Your welcome.

I forgot to mention to check the battery springs for white or green battery corrosion. Another common problem with these amps. That will also cause a power issue.
Patrick45015

Post by Patrick45015 »

Yeah I gave one a quick glance and it did look like the springs that connect to the power adapter do have a little corrosion. I'll clean them up and see if helps
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

I have found that vinegar works best for battery corrosion.
Patrick45015

Post by Patrick45015 »

I cleaned the adapter which looked ok and then the springs that it mates too. Works perfect now. I cleaned the second one but haven't tested it yet.

I feel kinda dumb cause dirty corroded connections is something I deal with all the time lol.

Still have to remind myself of the KISS rule of fixing things