Step-by-Step Refurb Docs?

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
jmagda

Step-by-Step Refurb Docs?

Post by jmagda »

Has there ever been a Soloist step-by-step (with photos) refurb article posted in here? I'd sure like to do the work myself and learn about them at the same time. Should probably also refurb my Stereo Chorus and Bass Rockman, as well.
RockmanCentralBob

Re: Step-by-Step Refurb Docs?

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Not usually, since you need to have some basic skills to do it.
Not that it's difficult, per se, but posting that kind of info could result in people messing up their units or even killing themselves.
jmagda

Post by jmagda »

I can frame and roof a house, install insulation, weld, solder electronics, repair microwave ovens, TVs & monitors, install drywall, built my own backyard 2-story shed/studio (and wired it), restore old phones, cars, motorcycles, hand-guns and rifles, restore guitars, stereo receivers, turntables, computers, furniture - and even sewed/constructed comic-con costumes.

I've been on plenty of pc, car, motorcycle and stereo/turntable forums where they have members who often detail a restoration with photos that they've done. I'd think it's up to the viewers/members to decide whether it's beyond their capabilities to tackle the job or not.

Thanks.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

jmagda wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:40 pm Has there ever been a Soloist step-by-step (with photos) refurb article posted in here? I'd sure like to do the work myself and learn about them at the same time. Should probably also refurb my Stereo Chorus and Bass Rockman, as well.
I've never seen anything like that here or elsewhere on the internet. Jark has a refurbishing article on his website that may help some (regarding electrolytic capacitors) but it is mainly for rockmodules. You can check it out here:

http://www.rockman.fr/Refurb/index.html

If you check out the rest of the site, he has some great info on the headphone amps, including the Soloist.

I've refurbished a bunch of headphone amps and rockmodules. I'm pretty sure there are previous employees of SR&D on this forum too. I'm sure if you run into an issue or just have any questions on your Soloist, someone will help. This stuff, especially the headphone amps, are pretty easy to work on.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

Yep I don’t think you’ll have too much trouble in refurbishing one.

I posted about restoring a Bass headphone amp a couple years ago viewtopic.php?f=12&t=168
It wasn’t a step by step just some photos of before and during. The older units are single sided PCBs so they are much easier to work with than the double sided with plated through hole PCBs. I replaced the caps and audio jacks and cleaned the switches with contact cleaner.

I installed the AC power adapter sold by B5 Amps. I did put together a simple how to install on that but I don’t think I ever posted it, I’ll have to dig that up. It’s easy to install and does away with using batteries or the impossible to find bipolar power adapter. Be warned opening your Rockman will void your warranty :D