Turning reverb and chorus off on x100

The definitive headphone guitar amp.
sammy777

Re: Turning reverb and chorus off on x100

Post by sammy777 »

Thank you so much for confirming! I will give it a try then...

For the switch, this would go directly before or after the resistors, and toggle between an open and closed circuit? I guess this would still require cutting wires - if I clip just one end of the resistor wires would this allow me to install the switch in the future?

Thanks!
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

Yeah, a DPDT switch has 2 set of switches, and each set has a "common" pole and then 2 "option" poles. Each resistor would go to a set. Basically, take where you cut it and feed it to the common, then connect where the other end would have gone if you hadn't cut it to one of the options, and the other one can go to ground (or leave floating not connected to anything... really shouldn't matter). The switch will then either restore the connection as if you hadn't cut it, or disconnect it again.
sammy777

Post by sammy777 »

Great, thank you for the help! I will give this a try. But now you’ve got me thinking bad things... a similar switch in the correct location is all it would take to throw in an effects loop?
RockmanCentralBob

sammy777 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 am Great, thank you for the help! I will give this a try. But now you’ve got me thinking bad things... a similar switch in the correct location is all it would take to throw in an effects loop?
Yeah, pretty much.
It's just a matter of deciding what you want to use it for and that would probably determine where to place it in the circuit.
For example, you could add a loop before the distortion stage and use it for a pre-distortion EQ loop.
And/or you could add one after the distortion and before the chorus/reverb sends and use it for a Smart Gate and/or a post distortion EQ.
For something like that, I probably wouldn't even put it on a switch... just add TRS jack(s) and hard wire it in since you probably would want it in all the time. If you use the right female jack, there are some that will automatically bypass the loop if you don't have anything plugged into it.
sammy777

Post by sammy777 »

RockmanCentralBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 pm
sammy777 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 am Great, thank you for the help! I will give this a try. But now you’ve got me thinking bad things... a similar switch in the correct location is all it would take to throw in an effects loop?
Yeah, pretty much.
It's just a matter of deciding what you want to use it for and that would probably determine where to place it in the circuit.
For example, you could add a loop before the distortion stage and use it for a pre-distortion EQ loop.
And/or you could add one after the distortion and before the chorus/reverb sends and use it for a Smart Gate and/or a post distortion EQ.
For something like that, I probably wouldn't even put it on a switch... just add TRS jack(s) and hard wire it in since you probably would want it in all the time. If you use the right female jack, there are some that will automatically bypass the loop if you don't have anything plugged into it.
I was thinking the most interesting place to put it would be after the compression/controllable gain but before the distortion so I could put an overdrive to drive it harder, what do you think? Is it easy to see where in the circuit this would go, and would it make sense to wire this to the two headphone jacks? I’m using the large output so I don’t need those.
RockmanCentralBob

sammy777 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:53 am
RockmanCentralBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 pm
Yeah, pretty much.
I was thinking the most interesting place to put it would be after the compression/controllable gain but before the distortion so I could put an overdrive to drive it harder, what do you think? Is it easy to see where in the circuit this would go, and would it make sense to wire this to the two headphone jacks? I’m using the large output so I don’t need those.
In that case, you could have both pre distortion and post distortion loops.
Use one stereo jack for pre send/return and the other for post.
sammy777

Post by sammy777 »

Is it easy to see on the schematic where this should go, to be post compression? I’ve tried looking at the schematic but can’t figure out which part is the compressor... best guess is that it goes on the downstream end of the circuit that bridges the selection of the different amp modes?
RockmanCentralBob

sammy777 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 am Is it easy to see on the schematic where this should go, to be post compression? I’ve tried looking at the schematic but can’t figure out which part is the compressor... best guess is that it goes on the downstream end of the circuit that bridges the selection of the different amp modes?
If you have the schematic, the TP1 is just after the compressor.
So you could VERY CAREFULLY lift one leg (or snip) of C135 (the side that connects to C107, R169, R111, etc) to add a pre-distortion loop.
On Rev10 boards, it looks like C135 may have been removed (or moved and joined with R112A which is a 560 ohm resistor).
So you woudl have to lift (or snip) both C135 and R112A in order to add the loop.

If you are not experienced working with electronics, I would NOT suggest you attempt this though.
You could very easily damage C135 and then you'd be screwed.
sammy777

Post by sammy777 »

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes I definitely can't do this myself. Do you know of anyone who would be able to do this? I've found David Ferringer's website but it says he doesn't work on the headphone amps, and he confirmed this in an email.

And also - what do you think of this plan anyways, is it a waste? I'm using an 80's Duncan JB which should be a high output pickup, however I find I much prefer my Rockman X100 sound when I use a tube screamer for a boost (high level and tone but no gain). With the overdrive before the compressor am I right that it is mostly just increasing the compression? Would the tone be significantly different with the overdrive after the compressor, requiring this effects loop? Thanks for the help!
RockmanCentralBob

Honestly, I think it would be overkill.
I have articles with Tom and he said that when he was working on Third Stage, he would use an EQ before the X100 to change tones. I think he still does that even now when recording with the Rev 20 Sustainor. In photo's I've seen of him in his studio, there is a 10 Band MXR EQ just off to the right, easily within arms length, that I'm pretty sure is set up for this purpose.

And for What it's worth, I do the same thing....I have a 10 Band MXR EQ after my guitar.