I need rockmount compatible screws. HELP

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
overtone85

I need rockmount compatible screws. HELP

Post by overtone85 »

Hi from UK.
This is my first post. I have 6 rock modules that I would like to mount in a rack.
I want to avoid paying a premium for original rockmounts and I was thinking of using 150mm deep universal rack trays.

I just need to figure out what kind of screws fit in the threaded inserts at the bottom of the rock modules. I assume all rockman screws are imperial/US sizes?

I measured with a caliper and I get about 2.8mm inner diameter of the thread. The closest imperial thread size is 7/64" (US #3?) and the thread seems to be a 'coarse' thread. I guess the lenght should be about 1/4" or 3/16".
I cannot find a UK or eBay seller who sells this kind of screws. Can anybody from US help me out? I can buy screws from you if you have the right ones. About 20 Screws.

I also need a new screw for my x100 headphone amp belt clip. It seems to be a 1/8" thread and also a 1/4" length screw.

Is anybpdy from UK here who knows where to find these kind of screws? possibly online? I only find large distributors of fasteners but no retail. I found a US store called boltdepot.com but they do not ship internationally.

If you are in the US and have access to these kind of screws I can buy some screws from you. 6 modules X 2 screws, let's say 12/16 screws plus the belt clip screw if you have one.

They don't have to be original rockman screws. just something that fits well without stripping the threads. oh and obviously countersunk flat phillips heads or allen socket.

Cheers
R
X100Ver10

Re: I need rockmount compatible screws. HELP

Post by X100Ver10 »

Rack tray screws for the bottom of the Rockman rockmodules are 6-32 x 1/4". The problem that you will run into is the taper cut of the head of the screw is a weird angle. I don't remember what it is. Maybe someone else will chime in with that angle. I would be surprised if you can find the exact ones, however. I remember trying to find them a few years ago and didn't find exact replacements. I did find these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Machine-Screw- ... Sw8gVYBjjy

It looks like he ships internationally. The screws are undercut. They work just fine but they do stick out just a hair. They are not flush like the originals but I'm talking barely noticeable (you have to run your finger over it to even tell it isn't flush) and they secure your rockmodules just fine. I don't think it will cause an issue with modules below it but double check, if you go this route.

What color belt clip do you have for your X100, black or chrome?
overtone85

Post by overtone85 »

Thanks for the reply X100Ver10, that is very helpful!

I am not worried about the taper to be honest. I will drill the holes in the tray myself and I will countersink them large enough for the head of the screw to be flush. If you mean that they are too long I could also grind/file the screw slightly. They're not original so i am ok with modding the screws :D

The belt clip of my x100 is chrome. Does it make a difference? I thought all the screws were black.

Thanks again for the reply!

R
overtone85

Post by overtone85 »

I found some 6-32 x 1/4" screws that have a 82 degrees taper. Is this the strange taper you were talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-x-1-4-Qty ... SwbYZXWXgz

EDIT: nevermind, i guess this taper is even longer than your link.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

overtone85 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:32 am Thanks for the reply X100Ver10, that is very helpful!

I am not worried about the taper to be honest. I will drill the holes in the tray myself and I will countersink them large enough for the head of the screw to be flush. If you mean that they are too long I could also grind/file the screw slightly. They're not original so i am ok with modding the screws :D

The belt clip of my x100 is chrome. Does it make a difference? I thought all the screws were black.

Thanks again for the reply!

R
The ones I linked on eBay should work fine then. The length (1/4") is perfect. You won't have to grind them down.

The reason I asked about the color of your X100 belt clip is the black clips usually came with a black screw and the chrome clip with a chrome screw. I have seen a few black clips with a chrome screw and vice versa, however.

I have some chrome belt clip screws. I got them from Dunlop. I believe they are 6-? x 1/4". I'm not sure of the thread pitch. They are more of a regular screw thread, not a machine screw thread like the ones for the rack tray, if that makes sense. The threads are a little farther apart. Maybe something like a 28 pitch. Your more than welcome to a couple, if you want. I wouldn't charge you for the screws but the shipping fee might not make it worth it for you. There really is nothing special about the screw. I would think you could find them somewhere near you. If not, let me know.

FYI - The 1/4" screws are a tad bit long for the X100. You will need to grind them down just a tad so that the screw doesn't make contact with the circuit board trace directly below it. If you can find them in 3/16" length, all the better.
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

Here is a close-up of what Bob is referring to... The screw on the right is a proprietary spec SR&D. They are not available anywhere.

X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Chuck Nuggets wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm Here is a close-up of what Bob is referring to... The screw on the right is a proprietary spec SR&D. They are not available anywhere.

The one on the left is an 82 degree taper and will stick out a little on a rack tray. The one on the right is 100 degree taper and will sit flush. The 100 degree taper screws are correct for the rack trays and are available. Just do a Google search for 6-32 x 1/4 100 degree taper flat head screws. :-)
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

X100Ver10 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:02 am
Chuck Nuggets wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm Here is a close-up of what Bob is referring to... The screw on the right is a proprietary spec SR&D. They are not available anywhere.

The one on the left is an 82 degree taper and will stick out a little on a rack tray. The one on the right is 100 degree taper and will sit flush. The 100 degree taper screws are correct for the rack trays and are available. Just do a Google search for 6-32 x 1/4 100 degree taper flat head screws. :-)
Really? Where? I've seen 10-32 / 100 degree only.
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Not available anywhere? Heh! Heh! Heh!