Power adapter for UDG

The Rockman stomp boxes, including the Ultimatum Distortion Generator and Acoustic Guitar Pedal.
darthoverdrive

Power adapter for UDG

Post by darthoverdrive »

I have been fortunate to come across a UDG. It works great with two 9 volt batteries but I'd like to use a power adapter instead. Does anyone know if the 12 volt adapters that Dunlop currently sells for their line of Rockman ACE headphone amps will work?

I don't know for sure if the original SR&D ACE headphone amps used the same polarity, positive tip - negative shield, but I can't see why that would change. The barrel size is different than the typical stomp box adapter and polarity as well.

I just wanted to check before plugging it in.

Thanks!
Guitarvamp

Re: Power adapter for UDG

Post by Guitarvamp »

It should say, right where you plug it in, what the voltage and polarity is.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

It shows the voltage, +12V, but no polarity. Used the DVM and made some measurements with the batteries in and I'm fairly sure the tip is positive like the Dunlop adapters. Really just wanted to be sure. I'll give it a try tonight.

All the photos I found online were too blurry to tell.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

It would be 12 volts DC, with a positive tip.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

Thanks, tried it out last night and it worked great. That will save on batteries.

When I bought my first Dunlop reissue of the Rockman ACE I questioned the barrel size and polarity of the adapter. It was non-standard compared to say BOSS pedals or a variety of other brands. Now I see it was SR&D that decided upon that. Interesting.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

Which adapter did you get? I have one for my UDG, and it screams like crazy - a really high-pitched whine. I tried a couple others over the years, and they all seem to do it.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

Mine is made by Dunlop, I bought it when I bought the Guitar ACE, probably three years ago.
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

Thanks. I'll have to try out a new one. Maybe mine is too old or something. The other ones.... maybe they weren't made for musical equipment. Who knows.
Ultimatum

Correct Power Adapter for UDG

Post by Ultimatum »

Guys, here is an original power-supply that shipped with the Ultimatum pedals. I have a few of these original supplies, this one just so happens to be the 100v version that I have photographed, as it was first out the drawer. Help this helps! I don't recommend using any Dunlop made "Rockman" power-supplies on original Rockman gear, as I'm pretty certain Dunlop uses reverse polarity! This being something they changed over to when they took over the company.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guitarvamp

Re: Correct Power Adapter for UDG

Post by Guitarvamp »

Ultimatum wrote: I don't recommend using any Dunlop made "Rockman" power-supplies on original Rockman gear, as I'm pretty certain Dunlop uses reverse polarity! This being something they changed over to when they took over the company.
Well, as luck would have it, the Dunlop adapters are the same.

If you are ever in doubt about the polarity, the Rockman unit should list it (or it will be in the free online manual), and of course the power supply will also list what it's putting out. No worries. :)

Amazon sells them for less than $15.
http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-DUNLOP ... B00GXNF2NS