Using a Sustainor 200 and Stereo Chorus/Delay with Tube Amp

Discussion and topics that don't fit elsewhere.
tim5118

Using a Sustainor 200 and Stereo Chorus/Delay with Tube Amp

Post by tim5118 »

Howdy Y'All and to RBC thanks for setting up this forum.

I have a Sustainor 200 and Stereo Chorus / Delay both in great condition. My question is :

1. Since the Sustainor 200 is a pre-amp, can I hook into the FX send/return of my Hughes & Kettner 18W Head thereby bypassing the Tube Pre-Amp on the head ?

or

2. Do I put the Sustainor 200 in front of the pre-amp therfore having a pre-amp to pre-amp.

3. Is it safe to hook the Stereo Chorus / Delay into the FX loop on the amp head.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards TC
rbc
Site Admin

Re: Using a Sustainor 200 and Stereo Chorus/Delay with Tube

Post by rbc »

tim5118 wrote:Howdy Y'All and to RBC thanks for setting up this forum.
3. Is it safe to hook the Stereo Chorus / Delay into the FX loop on the amp head.
I'lll address 3, I've done this before. I use my Stereo Chorus and Chorus/Delay in the effects loop of my Peavey Delta Blues 115. They are the nicest effects that I have.

David Accomando has an article on this topic as well:

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/ ... %20Gives?!
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
tim5118

Post by tim5118 »

Excellent ! Thanks David.

Shall check out that link as well.

Rock On !

TC
tim5118

Post by tim5118 »

Sorry. Thanks RBC ! :D
Guitarvamp

Post by Guitarvamp »

tim5118 wrote: 1. Since the Sustainor 200 is a pre-amp, can I hook into the FX send/return of my Hughes & Kettner 18W Head thereby bypassing the Tube Pre-Amp on the head ?
It depends on how the H&K is wired. Some FX loops are pre/post preamp, some aren't.

You CAN do it... worst case, it will sound no different than plugging into the front of the amp. Just try it and see.

tim5118 wrote:2. Do I put the Sustainor 200 in front of the pre-amp therfore having a pre-amp to pre-amp.
Again, it CAN be done, but I've always found it to be very noisy. You're not going to hurt anything trying it out, though.
tim5118 wrote:3. Is it safe to hook the Stereo Chorus / Delay into the FX loop on the amp head.
Sure. You obviously won't get a stereo signal out of your mono amp, but the Chorus/Delay has a mono setting and output.
tim5118

Post by tim5118 »

Excellent GuitarVamp.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I notice the Stereo Chorus / Delay has the input option of Line and GTR so by the time the guitar signal has entered pre-amp stage it is line level so I will try that.

I am big into minimizing pedals, modules and rack effects so long as I am happy with the pure signal coming from the guitar, being brought up to line level and then moving on in the chain but really trying to figure out a few basics before I just plug and unplug stuff.

Love the Sustainor but begining to think it may be of more use to someone else so may be on the market !

Thanks again.

PS Any other thoughts are more than welcome. Great to find such a forum.

Cheers TC
tim5118

Post by tim5118 »

Howdy Y'All.

After some thinking I believe my Rockman Sustainor 200 (Oct 12th 1988) and Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay (Aug 28th 1986), which sounds great by the way, would be better utilized by some other Rockman enthusiast.

My current rig is more pedal based and these wonderful modules will end up gathering dust which is not good.

I'll put them on a well known auction site unless someone can suggest an auction site that is more specific to vintage Rockman modules. Thinking UK only at the moment but may consider other postal destinations in due course.

Great site. Look forward to hearing from you.

With thanks. TC
lento

Post by lento »

Hi Tim

Do you know/use this site:
http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/

It's not an auction site but does have a busy classified section, although apart from myself, I'm not sure
how much interest there'd be in these classic fx ......
Or there's Gumtree.
I take it that yours are the export models with adaptors ?

Regards
Lyn
tim5118

Post by tim5118 »

Howdy Lyn.

I purchased both units here in the UK and only one came with the 12V AC adaptor and so with a UK 3 pin plug. Thanks for the sites by the way.

Best regards. TC
carl170

Post by carl170 »

Tim,

Did you sell these?

Regards

Carl