MIDI Octopus programming

Request or share system lineups and settings.
darthoverdrive

MIDI Octopus programming

Post by darthoverdrive »

Ok, so I’ve been playing with the MIDI Octopus and pedal board and the whole programming thing. Aside from some worn out buttons giving me grief I finally started to get a handle on this thing.

I put together a couple of worksheets to make programming a little easier. The Octopus Programming Chart is a blank worksheet that can be used with the Octopus only or with the MIDI pedal as well. Columns A through H are the switching jacks on the back of the unit and you can write in what module function they control. The Program #’s are listed along with the pedal’s Banks and LED colors, green and red. The boxes provide space to label the different settings. When filling in the chart I use the bang, *, to indicate that a switch is on or closed.

I’ve attached a worksheet of my current setup, it’s simple but functional. To simplify programming my rig I put each device into its own Bank. For instance channel 1 on my Sustainor occupies Bank 0, 1 – 5 and channel 2 occupies Bank 0, 6 – 10. My Distortion Generator occupies Bank 1, 11 – 15.

Hope these worksheets are useful. I’d like to hear from others on how your setups are programmed too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockmanCentralBob

Re: MIDI Octopus programming

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I don't program mine to handle every possible combination, I program mine based on the sounds I use the most, or for a particular song. I find I don't need or use a whole lot of different sounds and it keeps the tap dancing down to a minimum. If I find I need a new combination for a particular part/song, I can always add it.
darthoverdrive

Post by darthoverdrive »

True, which is what I did. I programmed each device or channel with all available options on one bank. Another thought would be like you suggest. Set aside a bank for a song or specific sound. Have the default sound foot switch programmed in the middle. Then a clean sound to the left of that and a chorus sound to the right. Or a solo sound. Anyway something to that effect.

Guess it depends how simple or versatile one wants to make it. Or complex :D
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

I use a Rolls/RFX Midi Buddy MP128 which has 10 buttons (2 banks of 5).
That tends to be enough for me most of the time (another 5 wouldn't hurt sometimes).
1: Clean 2
2: Clean 1
3: Dist only
4: Dist w Chorus
5: Dist w Chorus/Delay
6 ~ 10 same as above with louder volume.

or

1: Clean 2
2: Clean 1
3: Dist only
4: Dist w Phaser
5: Dist w Chorus
6 ~ 10 same as above but with Delay added