Rockman MIDI Octopus buttons act flakey?

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
Chuck Nuggets

Rockman MIDI Octopus buttons act flakey?

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

I'm new on the forum, but not new to Rockman gear. I have a question on the MIDI Octopus... Mine has issues with getting the A-H banks to activate properly. Sometimes the LED's will stay lit, other times I have to hit the button several times to get them to work. Does anyone have this issue, or has any information on how to fix this?
Chuck Nuggets

Re: Rockman MIDI Octopus buttons act flakey?

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

No one?
X100Ver10

Post by X100Ver10 »

The switches probably need to be cleaned. The problem is it is difficult to get any Deoxit electronic cleaning spray inside the switch where it needs to go. Try spraying the Deoxit D5 in any slit or small opening you can find on the switch near the push button cap. Do this several times for each switch and work the button a bunch after each spray. The spray may work its way in there and clean the contact. If it does get in there behind the cap, you may want to wait a few days though to give the Deoxit time to dry properly.

You can also try popping off the cap. I believe there are 2 tabs on the cap that need to be pulled out a little so you can remove it. I remember trying this a while ago but it seemed awfully tight and I was afraid of breaking the tabs. I was replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the Midi Octopus for a friend so I stopped before I broke it. If you do attempt this, be careful when removing the cap. My understanding is there are small piece(s) inside that could fall out and get lost.

You may want to check Mouser to see if they sell the switches and just replace all of them.

If all else fails, you can always send the Midi Octopus to Dwight at B5 amps:

http://www.b5amps.com/B5_Amplification/ ... tions.html

I'm sure he can get them working properly.
RockmanCentralBob

Post by RockmanCentralBob »

FWIW, yeah, mine has the same problem.
Chuck Nuggets

Post by Chuck Nuggets »

X100Ver10 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:21 pm The switches probably need to be cleaned. The problem is it is difficult to get any Deoxit electronic cleaning spray inside the switch where it needs to go. Try spraying the Deoxit D5 in any slit or small opening you can find on the switch near the push button cap. Do this several times for each switch and work the button a bunch after each spray. The spray may work its way in there and clean the contact. If it does get in there behind the cap, you may want to wait a few days though to give the Deoxit time to dry properly.

You can also try popping off the cap. I believe there are 2 tabs on the cap that need to be pulled out a little so you can remove it. I remember trying this a while ago but it seemed awfully tight and I was afraid of breaking the tabs. I was replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the Midi Octopus for a friend so I stopped before I broke it. If you do attempt this, be careful when removing the cap. My understanding is there are small piece(s) inside that could fall out and get lost.

You may want to check Mouser to see if they sell the switches and just replace all of them.

If all else fails, you can always send the Midi Octopus to Dwight at B5 amps:

http://www.b5amps.com/B5_Amplification/ ... tions.html

I'm sure he can get them working properly.
Thanks! I will try some Deoxit. Yeah, I spotted those locking flange taps the other day. I didn't want to pull out on them, given the age of the plastic.
Blueface Blues

Post by Blueface Blues »

Use a tiny flathead screwdriver, and pop the cap off carefully.
Inside is a curved piece of metal, a spring, and a flat piece of metal, and 2 bars that make contact with the flat piece of metal when the button is pushed in.
Use the flathead to scrape any discoloration off those bars (or wipe on some deoxit), flip the flat piece around to the fresh side, and re-assemble. I must've done this to over 100 switches.
dansgrandpapa

Post by dansgrandpapa »

Beautiful answer!
Step by step!
TRULY APPRICIATED!

All the Best
Doug
Inventive

Post by Inventive »

Blueface Blues wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:03 pm Use a tiny flathead screwdriver, and pop the cap off carefully.
Inside is a curved piece of metal, a spring, and a flat piece of metal, and 2 bars that make contact with the flat piece of metal when the button is pushed in.
Use the flathead to scrape any discoloration off those bars (or wipe on some deoxit), flip the flat piece around to the fresh side, and re-assemble. I must've done this to over 100 switches.
This works for MIDIPEDAL, XP100, XPR devices as well. They all use the same type of switch with the internal dome, spring and disk. The trick is not losing the tiny springs in the process. They tend to jump out when you pop off the cap.
dansgrandpapa

Post by dansgrandpapa »

Very good to know BEFORE hand!
THANKS GUYS!

All the Best,
Doug