Sustainor as Amp Sim and DI

A family of high-end analog DI and effects gear.
rbc
Site Admin

Sustainor as Amp Sim and DI

Post by rbc »

My investigations of guitar gear has recently lead me to the idea that the Sustainor provides not only a amp simulation (CLN, EDGE, & DIST) but also a DI of sorts, CLN2, that is. CLN, EDGE, and DIST all use the cabinet simulation, but CLN2 bypasses it. From looking at the Rockman Compressor, it seems like CLN2 might provide a treble boost. My question, is if that is in respect to the CLN sound? Is it actually just a flat EQ?

If the CLN2 sound has a flat EQ, I think that might be an interesting way to tell the story, that the Sustainor is both an amp simulation and a DI, albeit with an unbalanced output. Thoughts?
Keep rockman-gearup.com advertising free. Make a contribution: https://paypal.me/rockmangearup/5/
pmev938

Re: Sustainor as Amp Sim and DI

Post by pmev938 »

The way to check for any EQ effects would be to send so-called 'pink noise' through the CLN2 channel and see what the output looks like (compared to how the pink noise looks like with the circuit bypassed). This is something Brian Wampler of Wampler Pedals often does in his YouTube videos when he demos and compares pedals. I think he uses his DAW to send the pink noise through his audio interface, but I'm not sure of the specifics.
Dale

Re: Sustainor as Amp Sim and DI

Post by Dale »

To me CLN2 always kinda sounded like a guitar into a Dallas Rangemaster straight into a mixing board.